Band Saw Blades

Page 1 of 2
Hi, All,
I going to get a 14" bandsaw finally, prob the Griz, and I'm not sure what blades to get. I use a Woodworker 2 on the table saw, and can see the difference between that and something from Harbor Freight!!! So... First: What brands are good, which ones to stay away from?
2nd: I see hook, standard, rake teeth. What are they, or where can I find some descriptions? I will probably look for 3/4 inch something for resawing, and something smaller for general cutting. I usually cut oak, fir, cedar, and walnut if that matters.
Well, any help at all, will be a big help in getting started with a band saw. Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.
Rich.....
Hello Rich, One thing I have read in a variety of places is that you should not go over 1/2 inch for a 14 inch bandsaw. Your saw may not produce enough spring pressure to properly tension the blade. Although I have used 3/4 inch successfully on my 14, I prefer - and get similar results with 1/2 inch. I did replace the stock spring with a heavier style. I have no comments on what to avoid but I use Morse and Olsen interchangeably. I have used Carter too, but I end up buying the two other brands more. If you plan to use your saw for scrolling I highly recommend the Carter Stabilizer. Used with a 1/8 or 3/16 blade it can deliver scroll saw type curves with bandsaw type speed. Call Louis Iturra at Iturra designs for one of his catalogues. He sells a lot of blades and accessories for the 14 (he focusses on the Delta but so many 14s are copies of that machine. Here is his number 1-866-883-8064 Thanks for the New Year wishes and same to you. Hope you have lots of fun with that bandsaw. Marc

I use BC SAW (Canada) blades. I use 3tpi skip tooth blades for everything. This is in accordance with Michael Fortune's recommendations. I use primarily 1/2" blades.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Look here... http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saw-Blades/8/tooth-types-sets
You don't need a 3/4 blade for resawing. See below for a great blade.
____________________

Congrats on your soon-to-be new saw. Bandsaws are wonderful tools, very handy. They are also a PITA when it comes to changing blades. If I had the space (and $$) I would have two...one with a 1/2" 3-4 tpi hook tooth blade for resawing, another with a 3/16" 3-4 tpi skip or hook tooth for curves. High teeth per inch (10-14) means a smoother (slightly) cut but it also means a *much* slower cut. I've never had a use for other than those two blades, YMMV.
This is the best generally available 1/2" resaw blade I know of... http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID 93
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Give Louis Iturra at 888-722-7078. He will talk to you with a level headed expertise and not try to load you up with anything that doesn't suit your applications. He also carries a better tension spring (as do Rockler and Woodcraft) and other improvements and his catalog reads like a hardcover book - thicker than many! He really helped me out and his blades are very good. Not that you will need it but he can make custom lengths as well.
Chuck

If I may, I'd like to extend this thread a little. I am going to get a 14" Griz sometime in the coming year. I like to buy a good book if I'm buying a tool that has many uses. I have one for my table saw and router. Does anyone have a book to recommend for the bandsaw.
Sorry for jumping on your posting Rich but you might benefit too.........??

Agree with a good book. Did that for the table saw and a few others. But I now live in downtown Montana, and those stores with books in the big cities are no where to be found. Yea Internet!

Mastering Your Bandsaw Mark Duginske Video, or book I have his video I highly recommend it. Check out Tauton books

Here's a link to get the book for under $20 http://product.half.ebay.com/Mastering-Your-Bandsaw_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ47027181
Thanks to all the ideas. I ended up getting 2 extra Olsen blades from Rockler, 3/8 and 5/8 inch, and the cool blocks. I suspect I will try these and see what they do. Now if only Griz would ship by air at the same rip-off freight price!
Rich.....
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 09:57:02 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Should have purchased your Olsen blades from Coastal Tools, as I had and they're the cheapest I found in Internet. Wonder if there are anyone cheaper?
Comparison between Rockler and Coastal Tools
http://www.coastaltool.com/a/accessories/saw/bandsaw_14.html
Turner wrote:

I can walk in and buy them there! <G>
I love Coastal...
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:33:26 -0500, B A R R Y

You are lucky! Wanna buy cheap Maple lumber at less than $1b/f in SFO areas (if they still have any left)?

Yes, where?
scott
On 06 Jan 2009 20:27:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Santa Rosa North of SFO. Your email good? It's not ethical for me to post name and phone # here.

try snipped-for-privacy@last.org.
thanks,
scott
Turner wrote:

If I can walk into Coastal, why would I buy lumber in San Francisco? G>
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 09:57:02 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
Repost, forget to include Rockler website. :-)

Should have purchased your Olsen blades from Coastal Tools, as I had and they're the cheapest I found in Internet. Wonder if there are anyone cheaper?
Comparison between Rockler and Coastal Tools
http://www.coastaltool.com/a/accessories/saw/bandsaw_14.html
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pageV84&filter ndsaw%20blade

Yep, just added Coastal to my wood stuff list, I'll give them a try for the next go-around. Thanks for the heads up!
Turner wrote:

Neither of them carry the blade I like, which is a 3/16 x 4 hook, skip tooth blade like this one: (never bought anything from this place, just a reference)
http://www.cherrytreetoys.com/Band_Saw_82_inch_x_3_16_x_4_sk_P1722.cfm?UserID 99
I cut everything with a blade like that, I even resaw (6") with it. I always bought my blades from a company a mile from my house. They sold industrial blades to industry, but would make up blades for anyone that walked in I guess, at least they did for me. Occasionally I would get a blade that would break quickly, but 99% of them were surprising in there durability. This type of blade cuts fast and furious, can cut small radius and is all I need. Once I stumbled over this blade configuration, I never changed for another blade. I originally bought it to cut out names in 2x's for people. I wanted something that cut small radius. I liked it better than all my other blades for general use. Cuts a little rough but it is a band saw after all...
--
Jack