Baby Block Letters

Hey Group,

I am trying to find a way to router "baby block" style letters. Has any one here ever found any templates? Most templates route out the letter, the baby block style routes out around the letter leaving the letter a bit raised with a raised border?

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack

Norm did one of these a few years ago.

Routed out the block and letters separately, then glued them in place.

It is one approach.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks Lew,

That's a good idea I hadn't thought of.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

"Jack" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Have you considered making a template yourself? If you place raised letters and borders on the block, that should suffice as a template. (The router would then need to follow around the letters, giving you your cut out.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I believe he made the letters on a scroll saw, FWIW.

Reply to
Chuck Taylor

Another idea is to acquire some small woodcarving tools and carve out the background of the letters. Sort of like a miniature sign carving process.

A set of chip carving tools don't cost that much. And as long as you keep them sharp, they will work fine.

I have seen two sets of baby blocks like this. They were very distinctive and pretty. An advantage of this technique is that you can leave the tooling marks (in the background). It looks better if it is not exactly flat and smooth. The letters would be smooth though.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Maybe it's an excuse to buy a router pantograph and a set of wooden blocks?

John

Reply to
John

*If* you can't find the reverse templates to outline cut the letters, you might consider using the templates that rout out the letters and then fill the outlines with some baby safe material. Then you can pry them out and fasten them to the blocks.

However, considering all the effort needed to accomplish that, it would be far easier to just go and buy wooden letters and fasten them to blocks. Often, I've seen reasonably flat letters that would your need.

Reply to
Upscale

Overhead pin router?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

These might be an option but could get expensive depending on how many blocks.

RayV

Reply to
Lou Newell