Aviation Snips - Required tools for parents

Page 1 of 2
So the jack-knife is no longer sufficient for opening Christmas gifts. Actually, it probably hasn't been for quite a while, but it has just become apparent to me. The Nintendo Wii played a large part in Christmas this year, and I've gotta tell you - the packaging that those things come in is downright dangerous. Not necessarily the Wii itself, but the accessories - battery chargers, additional remotes, "Nunchucks", etc... I'd rather freehand on a table saw than open one of those things! After a couple of near-misses I grabbed the snips from the shop and had no trouble at all. Scissors don't cut it; you need the mechanical advantage of compound action - the plastic is that tough.
That said, the Wii is one heck of a fun time.
<end public service announcement>
JP ********************* Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!
Those blister packs ARE dangerous! I use the pair of electric B&D snippers I have, a great item for those with any kind of arthritis.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

Sounds like a great use for a Multimaster!

all kinds of data. Most not relevant to her clinic (strokes), but interesting nonetheless. The so-called theft prevention blister packs are usually way up there when it comes to household injuries. WAY up there. The sharp/jagged plastic itself most often the cause the wounds. Another one that I see often near the top of the list are the very serious injuries people sustain when the are trying to separate frozen products, mostly hamburger patties. Frozen items slippery. Finger numbed by cold, add heavy kitchen knives, a slip off the cutting board, bingo.. deep (often to the bone) cuts. Fingers in car doors are quite common. Common burns are usually well represented.
In other news, blown blood vessels in the brain are most often caused by innocent people making an attempt at understanding the reason why rap exists.
Robatoy wrote:

Learned that one long ago. Get ground beef, make patties, wrap each separately. Forget the prepackaged patties unless you're going to use them right away.
Never will forget the first time my mother encountered a frozen bagel. She was going to show me how it's done, thinking they could be fork-split like an English Muffin. I just realized--_that_'s what you you us a 9 inch 80 buck mostly plastic bandsaw for. Hmm, when I finally get around to redoing the kitchen I'm going to have to make sure to make room for one for that purpose and make a bagel carrier to match.
Had a cousin who came to visit regularly, every damned time the first thing she did was cut herself a piece of chees and need to go to the emergency room to get sewn up. Finally started putting sliced cheese out before she arrived and locking up everything with an edge.

--John

Wet under cold water (takes 1.33 seconds at most). Heat in microwave 40 seconds (for NYC Ess-A-Bagel bagels, others take less time). Slice hot bagel with serrated bread knife. Examine fingers for burns. Toast bagel until done to perfection (personal preference). Seems rather risk free to me.
--
Best regards
Han

Let me guess: All her knives were dull, so she wasn't in the habit of treating knife edges as dangerous, and was in the habit of applying too much pressure to get them to cut. Your knives were sharp. Right?
Still, cheese isn't exactly difficult to cut.
    Dave
Dave Martindale wrote:

Bingo.
Which might be the problem.
--John

Fully 30% of ischemic strokes (thrombotic, not hemorrhagic = bleeding) have no cause that can be clinically or diagnostically ascertained. I'm involved in research as to how platelets may be involved in these "cryptogenic" strokes, but so far there is no clear lead as to causes (it's still cryptogenic, meaning s#$t, we have no clue). Since stroke is one of the leading causes of death and suffering (mortality and morbidity), it is important we get a clue, but we spend too much time writing grants rather than doing research!!
--
Best regards
Han

Han wrote:

Have you seen "Mars Attacks"? If not then watch it and you'll have the idea.

--John
*snip*

Rap exists because too many people refuse to learn about melody and harmony and just want rhythm. See also: pop music.
I guess I'm not innocent, at least I've got some sk1llz as a musician.
Puckdropper
marching band.
Jay Pique wrote:

Yeah, those blister packs are just plain dangerous. Office stores now sell a tool to help open them.

I use EMT shears on that stuff, it's too tough and unpredictable to cut safely with a knife unless you're also wearing meat-cutter gloves.
Our Health and Safety program at work is very rigorous. Our field technicians are not allowed to use open-blade knives (belt knives, pocket knives, box knives, &tc.) at all. They use kiddie-scissors to cut plastic tubing, plastic sheeting, &tc.
Needless to say, the jobs take longer, but our safety record is very good.
-Zz
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 04:48:14 -0800 (PST), Jay Pique

I bought a bunch of these to give out for Christmas presents. They work very well. http://www.enjoyzibra.com/openit / About $10 at Home Depot.
black powder. or napalm. bad words help.     j4
A little det cord laid around the edges properly tamped will take the edges right off <evil laugh>
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

Funny, I didn't have any trouble getting my Wii out of the package. Most of it was just twist ties.
I don't even bother trying to open the plastic packaging nicely. I just simply start cutting along the edges with my knife, get a finger or three in, and pull.
Watch out for the next common Wii injury: Tennis elbow! Enjoy. :-)
Puckdropper
marching band.
This is the tool that I use. Works pretty well. Can't remember where I bought it, but I DAGS and found this site pretty quick (I have no connection to the company whatsoever)
http://www.myopenx.com /
Tom Dacon