Tin snips are tools used to cut thin sheet metal.

Tin snips are tools used to cut thin sheet metal.

snips are tools used to cut thin sheet metal. They use the same principles as common scissors, but are able to handle thicker and harder material. There are three different types of tin snips; straight cutting, left cutting, and right cutting. Straight cutting in a straight line, left cutting snips (usually red) will cut in a curve to the left, and right cutting snips (usually green) will cut in a curve to the right.
practical use the red snips pictured will be used in the right hand, for straight or curving cuts, with the base material to the right being cut neatly and the left hand will be pulling away a spiraling offcut. The green snips work in the opposite fashion in the left hand, with the waste being on the right.

A similar tool called aviation snips can cut sheet metal with less effort than tin snips. A compound lever mechanism provides greater control with less effort. The serrated jaws prevent slippage and withstand heavy use. Also it is designed with a latch than holds the jaws closed if desired. The insulated handles have the same color- coding as with tin snips described above.

tool called a hand notcher makes clean V-shaped cuts in sheet metal without slippage. The compound-action handles produce necessary leverage for fast cutting.

http://r.yuwie.com/chiangmai

Been wondering what they were for .... ;)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 00:13:32 GMT, Lobby Dosser wrote: [spam deleted]

I was wrong.. I always thought that they were to snip tin...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

...and table saws cut tables?

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Hell I used mine to open some salt bags recently. Having a long drive that mostly goes up to your home sucks, when Mother Nature gives you

2" of ice and the another 1" after the first has melted. First year here, time for a plow and chains for the John Deere. Free carpenter ant infested redbud available too, as it fell over but not onto the grapes.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What then are aviation snips for? Cutting planes?

Wonder if they're related to that "aircraft remover" stuff in the clearance aisle?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Markem wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We didn't get ice, but had some snow freeze before I had a chance to plow my sister's driveway. (I did mine first and ran out of daylight.) I pushed as much snow off as I could, then dumped salt on the driveway with a pull-behind spreader. Once the sun came out, it started working pretty good.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Dang! No wonder they haven't done squat for me when trying to cut veneer! Who knew?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

So if you are being snippy that is the same as saying you are making cutting remarks. oof, j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Shear nonsense

r5

Reply to
Robatoy

Edgy today, Robatoy? m6

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

[snip]
[snip]

[snip]

[snip]
[snip]

Reply to
Robatoy

[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

[snip]
[snip]

Reply to
Robatoy

But I daresay they would be better used to castrate spammers so they do not reproduce.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

well, yeah... everyone knows that..

I quit using the jig saw to make jigs, though..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I think they're to trim pilots? have to ask Barry that one..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Maybe to "trim the plane"...

Har!

Reply to
B A R R Y

[snip]

LOL! That was great! (no pun. Reseting score.) m0

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Okay, I gracefully accept, and will institute my own, reset.

r0

Reply to
Robatoy

Hey, are you a hockey ref by any chance? JP

Reply to
Jay Pique