Asbestos concern?

Page 3 of 4
"Bill" wrote
Yes, I understood that from your last post to Larry. I appreciate your pointing it out. Hack saw and a round file, huh? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Yes, but a light ream on a hacksaw cut EMT works well, does not make a sharp edge, and is faster.
-- Jim in NC
Morgans wrote:

Jim, Is this the sort of tool you would recommend for that?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM223943197P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2#desc
Bill
That would do it. It's only the inside burrs that are a problem with an EMT fitting slid over it.
--------
"Bill" wrote in message Jim, Is this the sort of tool you would recommend for that?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM223943197P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2#desc
Bill
Yep, that will do.
Mine is mounted in a brace and bit setup. There is not a need, but it is what I got. (from my dad)
-- Jim in NC

Chaos, panic, disorder...my work here is done. ;)

Yes, and I plonked him for his idiotic assumptions.

A pipe cutter will tend to leave a sharp edge, but ther reamer pushes it out beyond the lip of the connector it slides into, protecting all wiring from any sharp edges. The Noaf Kay-lina boy must not even be _using_ connectors if his wires get cut. Or he's just careless with the reamer. Yes, a round or rattail halfround file will work with a hacksaw, too, but you have a lot more cleanup if you do that, both in the pipe and on the shop floor. Saw shavings left in the emt will chafe wiring, too, if they're not too busy finding their way into your fingertips. ;)
-- We are always the same age inside. -- Gertrude Stein
We had a new 60 unit apartment building condemned, electrically, and made the Electrician repipe the whole building after using a pipe cutter and reaming out the burrs. There were still several places that ripped the insulation off the wires. Not a fun job after most of the drywall was on.
I wouldn't even try it with a pipe cutter after that one. It was only a small arc and we caught it in the testing stage.
Use a hacksaw and file or reamer.
-----------
"Bill" wrote in message Yes, I understood that from your last post to Larry. I appreciate your pointing it out. Hack saw and a round file, huh?

If he ever does any finishing in there, he'll rue the day he left any popcorn on the ceiling to fall into it. Douche it all now!
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai
Larry Jaques wrote:

Larry, Please don't hesitate to think up new projects for me! I'm having a hard time keep up as it is! : )
Bill

I'm trying to eliminate the need for the AR analyzer to get involved and just let you do your projects, eh? ;)
Didja watch the video of the Blob falling from the ceiling? Cool, wot?
-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus
Larry Jaques wrote:

Well, the stuff appears to come off Much easier than I would have supposed! Your comment about the stipple ruining the finishing is better-taken now too. At first, it just sounded like more work!

Read the comments on the youtube video. Sounds like nobody else can get it to come off like that.
-------------
"Bill" wrote in message Well, the stuff appears to come off Much easier than I would have supposed! Your comment about the stipple ruining the finishing is better-taken now too. At first, it just sounded like more work!
Bill wrote:

Point #1: DO NOT TEST. If positive, you are required to disclose to any prospective buyer that your house was contaminated with a toxic chemical.
That you did not know, nor should have known, is an affirmative defense.
Point #2 Commercial products containing asbestos are not known to be hazardous. In your case, asbestos is a superb fire retardant. Leave it alone.
On 8/2/2011 4:07 AM, Bill wrote:

Simply don't sand it and you will be fine.
The advice that only an idiot would have it tested is operative.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Do yourself a favor. Drape plastic on the floor, moisten the popcorn with a fine mist, and watch it drop off. Put it in your trashcan and be done with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?vtrr71tZN8U

Yes, they popcorned most ceilings in the 60s and 70s, but never closets.

Caution: Should you truly feel the need to know whether or not it has that ghastlyhorriblenastyassevil "asbestos" stuff in it and discover that it -does-, your house will be marked by the PTBs, invaded by the EPA, and it will cost many thousands of dollars to have it removed by some poor souls who jumped through all the hoops and became licensed to deal with that ghastlyhorriblenastyassevil "asbestos" stuff. (Ditto lead.)
I've never felt the need to know, myself. Just Say NO! <wink>
P.S: Over 90% of all the asbestos mined was of a non-lethal type and victims were almost entirely those who worked in the mines for 30 years without respirators. Do the research and join me in shaking your head in disbelief at what the lawyers have done to this country.
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai

Perhaps the company was certified, but the poor non-English-speking Eastern European "slaves" who did the asbestos removal in the Manhattan VA many years back could have or were definitely contaminated.
DAMHIKT, and IANAL
--
Best regards
Han
Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow, that was a much better video than I expected! This one is pretty good too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmmjPhC5R4&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Since the ceiling compounds gave the finishers an easy way out, I would anticipate that some extra drywall work will be required. Nothing like working on the ceiling, huh? : )
Bill
Bill wrote the following:

When the plasterboard finishers in my newly constructed home, built in 1984, the spackle guy asked me if I wanted to have a 'swirled finish' on the LR and DR ceilings. Of course, we said OK. He told us it would cost a little extra and we agreed. He used an old wallpaper brush to do the swirling. Many of you know that it takes about 3 days to do a proper spackling job, depending upon the relative humidity. 1st coat one day, sand and second coat the second day, finish sand the third day. We paid extra to eliminate the second and third day for the spackling finishing on the LR and DR ceilings. We did learn a lesson though. I watched the guy swirl the ceiling and did some more ceilings in the house myself.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
"Bill" wrote in message This one is pretty good too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmmjPhC5R4&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Since the ceiling compounds gave the finishers an easy way out, I would anticipate that some extra drywall work will be required. Nothing like working on the ceiling, huh? : )
Bill
======= It may be worth your while to attempt to follow the`advice in the video you supplied a`link to.
They sent a sample to a nearby EPA testing lab for asbestos verification with no reservations and no fire alarms went off as suggested. I doubt you live in a place of employment that all these fear mongers concerns may apply. You would know how much precaution to take and feel much safer knowing it is or isn't.
Finding out where and how may be another thing, though.
Be sure and be safe!
--
Eric

Eric wrote:

I'll act in a safe manner and be safe! I treat all guns as loaded. I'm not least bit afraid of guns. For my $3000, I'd rather have a Delta Unisaw than a SawStop. I quit tobacco.
Bill
"Bill" wrote in message
Eric wrote:

I'll act in a safe manner and be safe! I treat all guns as loaded. I'm not least bit afraid of guns. For my $3000, I'd rather have a Delta Unisaw than a SawStop. I quit tobacco.
Bill
=== I hear ya'
LOL
It would be nice to know how somebody makes out getting something like that tested. The costs, hassle and how deep the involvement gets. I don't see an issue outside of the workplace...inside? maybe wow! I have heard a few doooozies in my life time.
--
Eric