Ark

Page 1 of 2
Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for two days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke alert). Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the top but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a major problem. Twitch.     mahalo (shut up and keep bailing)     jo4hn
Add pictures here
โœ–
jo4hn woke up and had the following words of wisdom ....:

From A GIS:
cubit a historic unit of distance frequently mentioned in the Bible. The word comes from the Latin cubitum, "elbow," because the unit represents the length of a man's forearm from his elbow to the tip of his outstretched middle finger. This distance tends to be about 18 inches or roughly 45 centimeters. In ancient times, the cubit was usually defined to equal 24 digits or 6 palms. The Egyptian royal or "long" cubit, however, was equal to 28 digits or 7 palms. In the English system, the digit is conventionally identified as 3/4 inch; this makes the ordinary cubit exactly 18 inches (45.72 centimeters). The Roman cubit was shorter, about 44.4 centimeters (17.5 inches). The ordinary Egyptian cubit was just under 45 centimeters, and most authorities estimate the royal cubit at about 52.35 centimeters (20.61 inches).
--
Theres a little man in my head, saying things better left unsaid.

Add pictures here
โœ–
Wed, Oct 20, 2004, 2:50pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (jo4hn) asks: Anybody know how long a cubit is? <snip>
Isn't that an imitation diamond?
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Add pictures here
โœ–
(jo4hn) asks:

I thought that was "anneal"
Bob
Add pictures here
โœ–
No, that's what you do in church...
-- -Jim ฉฟฉฌ
If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam
(jo4hn) asks:

Add pictures here
โœ–
calmly ranted:

I thought he was half a gay couple.
(Or were they "Kneel and Bob"?)
In any case, she won't last forever. Why give 'er a diamond?
--

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has
become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by

"Diamonds...cause she'll prety much have to"...
Add pictures here
โœ–
jo4hn did say:

Half the length of a doublecubit. Twice the length of a semicubit. Ten times the length of a decicubit. Twelve times the length of an imperial inchubit.
And most accurately, while still maintaining appropriate rudeness, the length from my elbow to my extended middle finger.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Add pictures here
โœ–

That's about a cubit. A little on the short side, perhaps.
John
Add pictures here
โœ–

One can fudge the cubit measurement, but where are you going to get the gopherwood in time?
Seriously now, isn't this the same terrain that burned badly last year? How's the vegetation? Are you expecting mudslide problems?
Patriarch
Add pictures here
โœ–
patriarch < wrote: [snip]>

No prob. We have lots of gophers here.

This is indeed the burn area. However, it didn't get much closer than a mile of my house. Plus I am on high ground. As to vegetation, the forest service sowed a bunch of fast growing grasses that have good root systems. I doesn't look very pretty in the burn areas but then it never did. They have evacuated a lot of the canyon areas that weren't already evacuated due to the fire danger. Mudslides are a constant problem in lower elevations.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Add pictures here
โœ–

Too late.
Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple

Yow--is anyone evacuating? Have there been slides? Hope you're safe. Bob
Add pictures here
โœ–
Also,
1 yard = distance from the queen's nose to the queens outstretched index finger.
Told to me by an old British mechanic, after I insulted him buy asking if my 1964 MGB was metric.
-- -Jim ฉฟฉฌ
"Hey baby, come up to my place, I'm hung like a cubit... "
If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

two
Add pictures here
โœ–

James I, not Brenda.
A very well-calibrated king. He was supposedly six foot across, six foot high, his thumb was exactly an inch across and his feet were precisely a foot long.
In reality he was a shortarse (from his armour) and a religious disaster.
--
Smert' spamionam

Add pictures here
โœ–
Andy Dingley writes:

Aren't they all? We've got one now.
Charlie Self "There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up." Booker T. Washington
Add pictures here
โœ–

James-the-first-and-sixth was a religious disaster? I thought that was James II, the one that came before Williamandmary?
John
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:45:32 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Well they both were. James II probably the worst, but James I was responsible for setting up many of the initial conditions.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Bob Schmall wrote: [snip]

There have been some slides and flooding. The national forest areas were evacuated a week or two ago due to the extreme fire danger (no rain for 6 months). When it did start raining, more lower elevation canyons were evacuated due to flood problems. The TV news folks are having a collective orgasm over the "disaster". "Storm Watch", "team coverage", etc. Wow. Even the BBC gets caught up in this stuff.
Maggy and I are just fine. We are far enough up that we won't have a problem. A couple of roads out of here are blocked because of mudslides but Caltrans should have them open by this afternoon.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Add pictures here
โœ–

from your elbow to the tip of your extended middle finger.
Add pictures here
โœ–
jo4hn wrote:

here on the top
Sir, there are children present, and I will thank you not to use such profanity.
[EXPLETIVE DELETED] already? In OCTOBER? Crikey. Wherever you live, I don't wanna move there.
โœ–