Ark

Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for two days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke alert). Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the top but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a major problem. Twitch. mahalo (shut up and keep bailing) jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

jo4hn woke up and had the following words of wisdom ....:

From A GIS:

cubit a historic unit of distance frequently mentioned in the Bible. The word comes from the Latin cubitum, "elbow," because the unit represents the length of a man's forearm from his elbow to the tip of his outstretched middle finger. This distance tends to be about 18 inches or roughly 45 centimeters. In ancient times, the cubit was usually defined to equal 24 digits or 6 palms. The Egyptian royal or "long" cubit, however, was equal to 28 digits or 7 palms. In the English system, the digit is conventionally identified as 3/4 inch; this makes the ordinary cubit exactly 18 inches (45.72 centimeters). The Roman cubit was shorter, about 44.4 centimeters (17.5 inches). The ordinary Egyptian cubit was just under 45 centimeters, and most authorities estimate the royal cubit at about 52.35 centimeters (20.61 inches).

Reply to
JAW

Wed, Oct 20, 2004, 2:50pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (jo4hn) asks: Anybody know how long a cubit is?

Isn't that an imitation diamond?

JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Reply to
J T

jo4hn did say:

Half the length of a doublecubit. Twice the length of a semicubit. Ten times the length of a decicubit. Twelve times the length of an imperial inchubit.

And most accurately, while still maintaining appropriate rudeness, the length from my elbow to my extended middle finger.

Reply to
WoodMangler

jo4hn wrote in news:SWudd.2167$KJ6.1744 @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

That's about a cubit. A little on the short side, perhaps.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

jo4hn wrote in news:SWudd.2167$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

One can fudge the cubit measurement, but where are you going to get the gopherwood in time?

Seriously now, isn't this the same terrain that burned badly last year? How's the vegetation? Are you expecting mudslide problems?

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I thought that was "anneal"

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple

Yow--is anyone evacuating? Have there been slides? Hope you're safe. Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

No, that's what you do in church...

--

-Jim ©¿©¬

Reply to
jtpr

Also,

1 yard = distance from the queen's nose to the queens outstretched index finger.

Told to me by an old British mechanic, after I insulted him buy asking if my

1964 MGB was metric.

--

-Jim ©¿©¬

"Hey baby, come up to my place, I'm hung like a cubit... "

Reply to
jtpr

patriarch < wrote: [snip]>

No prob. We have lots of gophers here.

This is indeed the burn area. However, it didn't get much closer than a mile of my house. Plus I am on high ground. As to vegetation, the forest service sowed a bunch of fast growing grasses that have good root systems. I doesn't look very pretty in the burn areas but then it never did. They have evacuated a lot of the canyon areas that weren't already evacuated due to the fire danger. Mudslides are a constant problem in lower elevations. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Bob Schmall wrote: [snip]

There have been some slides and flooding. The national forest areas were evacuated a week or two ago due to the extreme fire danger (no rain for 6 months). When it did start raining, more lower elevation canyons were evacuated due to flood problems. The TV news folks are having a collective orgasm over the "disaster". "Storm Watch", "team coverage", etc. Wow. Even the BBC gets caught up in this stuff.

Maggy and I are just fine. We are far enough up that we won't have a problem. A couple of roads out of here are blocked because of mudslides but Caltrans should have them open by this afternoon. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

from your elbow to the tip of your extended middle finger.

Reply to
bridger

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:45:52 GMT, "Bob Schmall" calmly ranted:

I thought he was half a gay couple.

(Or were they "Kneel and Bob"?)

In any case, she won't last forever. Why give 'er a diamond?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Diamonds...cause she'll prety much have to"...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

James I, not Brenda.

A very well-calibrated king. He was supposedly six foot across, six foot high, his thumb was exactly an inch across and his feet were precisely a foot long.

In reality he was a shortarse (from his armour) and a religious disaster.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sir, there are children present, and I will thank you not to use such profanity.

[EXPLETIVE DELETED] already? In OCTOBER? Crikey. Wherever you live, I don't wanna move there.
Reply to
Silvan

From the more-than-you-ever-wanted-to-know department, the following url was supplied by a friend of mine:

good grief, j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Aren't they all? We've got one now.

Charlie Self "There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up." Booker T. Washington

Reply to
Charlie Self

Ahhhhh...the famous math solution, when in fact some dumb ass carpenter took a stick, made two marks on it and said "that looks about right"....

jo4hn wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber