OT how to start a boiler 1st time

Ok, I know alot of you are going to think this a dumb question, But, always having a heat pump I do not know how to start my boiler heat. In the summer I turned off the gas and the water to the boiler. Last night I turned everything back on, I heard the water running through the pipes and I lit the pilot. It cycled one time then the pilot went out. But that does not concern me as much as "air in the system" Do I need to bleed air off any where in the house? Boy I sure wish I had my heat pump!

Searcher 1

Reply to
Searcher

Do you have traditional radiators? If so, they have bleeder valves on the end that use a small key which just about any hardware store has, if you don't. You open them(with the water on to the boiler) and let the air out till you get a water stream, then close them.

The pilot should not have gone out, unless you had a draft or perhaps a bad thermocouple. Check that.

You might consider having your boiler converted to a "pilotless" ignition system. That way you shut nothing off and don't turn off the water, which I wouldn't do anyway...keep the system pressurized, I do.

Reply to
Jim Polaski