Are we this lazy?

Page 1 of 4
I guess the market will decide but is this a product that is really needed? http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID 251
RayV wrote:

Look at the brand name.
Who do you think will be the primary marketing target?
B A R R Y wrote:

For a minute, I thought "The Onion" had hijacked the B&D site! <G>

Personally I wouldn't buy these for clamping, but if the screw operates under power in both directions and the switch leads could be brought out externally, I could envision some neat uses for these things as positioning mechanisms or in home made robots & such.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 06:59:49 -0800, RayV wrote:

As long as these exist you can bet that we really are *that* lazy: <http://www.smuckers.com/fg/otg/uncrustables/default.asp
--
-Joe Wells

"Here stands baseball's perfect warrior. Here stands baseball's perfect knight."
RayV wrote:

I love how they sell stuff like that. Check out this picture from the B&D site:
http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/POWER_TOOLS/TOOLS/LARGE/1/ACC100_A1.jpg
I suppose if you're that inept, an auto-clamp might keep you from crushing your fingers in a normal clamp. Notice how nice his cuts are even using a handsaw in that awkward position - the ends of the board look like they were done on a tablesaw. Most admirable. The tool selection hanging on that rack is priceless - a couple of paint rollers, couple of hammers, a large wrench, a couple of putty knives and a rubber mallet. Yep, time for him to be open up his own cabinet shop!
This guy in the photo has it all wrong. He needs to turn the board around,set on it. cup of java in left hand saw in right hand. OOOH be carefull not to get any sawdust in your java, mite be bad for you.
RicodJour wrote:

http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/POWER_TOOLS/TOOLS/LARGE/1/ACC100_A1.jpg

It would seem to make sense for woodworkers with carpel tunnel or arthritis which prevent or diminish gripping force.
scott
"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message

If someone would make one that is both pneumatic, cost effective, and could be adapted for use on the multi-router, I would buy a couple or three in heartbeat.
Nothing lazy about it ... it's amazing how much time and effort placing, tightening, and loosening clamps is expended when 'batching' multiple parts, say mortises in both ends of 72 slats! DAMHIKT
Here is a pair that JDS sells for the Multi-router:
http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdIDX
... ouch!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Well ... el perrito barks "NO" at that price.

Like a good little wooddorker, I fashioned my own out of one I already had.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

run those calculations. I don't know much about the company but it could be shop based. Lower the price and up the volume and they would be facing production of a different scale. Since these machines are not mass market -like IPods or cell phones- it might not make sense from a logistical or financial perspective.
"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

I'm sure it doesn't. The Multi-Router is of a quality that you rarely see any longer in this country and I'm surprised they don't cost more. You really have to take a close look at one, and put it through it's paces, to appreciate the mix of engineering, accuracy and robustness that is inherent in the beast ... makes the words "fit and finish" too paltry to describe it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

machine oooooozes: "buy me, buy me!!!"
(*practising my rationalization*: the mix of engineering, accuracy and robustness, the mix of engineering, accuracy and robustness, the mix of engineering, accuracy and robustness.)
But I will wait for jBot. <g>
"Robatoy" wrote in message

LOL ... but with the M-R, you actually have to touch wood. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06
Joe Bemier wrote:

I've decided to wait until the 110 volt version comes out. Unless of course they enhance the "cordlessness" in a new version that has a little 1/20 hp Briggs & Stratton engine attached.
FoggyTown
"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Have you had any hands on with one? I could be way off base, but IMO it is pretty hard to imagine a machine of that quality/caliber priced much lower than it is.
Hell, folks pay that much for a laptop that's obsolete in two years.
-- www.e-woodshop.net Last update: 10/29/06
No, I have to admit I have not and what you say is probably correct.
Being in the computer business, I agree with you about laptops.
Swingman wrote:

I just want to find some good pics to build one. Can't justify the price but I have lots of applicable parts. Respectfully, Ron Moore