Architects Scale

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:43:35 -0700, "Jay Windley"

The OP may even have an "Engineer's Scale", which would seem entirely confusing if the OP was thinking it's an architects's scale.
We were all new at something at one time!
Barry
Any advice on what to use if I'm working on a smaller scale. I'm not designing a house just rails and ladders for bunk beds. I was looking at the scale and it just didnt look like this would apply to smaller scales. thanks for the reply. I had not checked for a while because it seemed like all I was gettin was insults. This is the first time I have tried to design anything myself. Thanks, Darrell On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:43:35 -0700, "Jay Windley"

1/4" = 1' should let you draw "the big picture" 3/4" = 1" should give you about all the detail you need.
If you don't evern want to mess with it, get some graph paper. Allow each square to equal either: 1 foot, 1inch, 6 inches, or something that allows you to get the scale you need.

An Architects scale will do exactly what you want to do. In a nut shell lets say you intend to draw in 1/4 scale, where 1/4" = 1 foot in real life. If your ladder is supposed to be 8' tall (real) then you'd go from the "0" to "8" marks on the 1/4 scale which would represent an 8 foot line. That line is really only 2" long on your drawing but at 1/4 scale it represents 8 feet. Same principle if you do 1/2 scale or 1/8 scale as far as the markings you use. Those lines will of course not be 2" long on your paper at those scales thought, they'll be 4" long at 1/2 scale and 1" long at 1/8 scale.
They are inexpensive and easy to use once you get the hang of it, thus my mention of a beginning architectural draftine type of book from a library. Not only will it discuss how to use the scale but will have a lot of tips for doing drawings to scale. I took an Architectural drafting course in HS inthe 60's and loved it. Once we designed our dream house on paper, we then built it from balsa wood, to scale of course.
Reaper wrote: