aquarium stand

Page 1 of 2

looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

There's an interactive planner here:
http://www.garf.org/index.html
Look under DIY pages.
Bill Stock wrote:

school of engineering :-).
C'mon folks. Take any cabinet you've built lately and stand on it. If it's big enough have someone stand on it with you. If you've built it properly of 4/4 hardwood with a couple of cross members, it'll hold a lot of weight. If you haven't - oops - don't stand on it :-).
You have to wonder if the owner of that website has ever seen how flimsy the stands are that you can buy in a pet shop. I wouldn't have one, but they must hold up the weight.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=plan+aquarium+stand&btn=Yahoo%21+Search&tab=Web&fr=my-vert-web-top
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Good for you.
Gee Rich, that almost looks like a declarative sentence, but of course it's not even a whole sentence.
Did you have a question?
I've been lurking around this newsgroup for the past year or so and I finally have to say something about the majority of the responders to posts. Its a wonder anyone posts here, with all the sarcasm that is thrown around every time someone asks for help. I wonder how many of you would talk to a perfect stranger face to face in a similar manner. Another Rich.

(Another) Rich,
I have made 3 aquarum stands, all from oak, but each very different designs. I feel I have something to offer on the topic. But I'm not personally inclined to take the time to offer commentary to someone who appears to be asking other people do grunt work for him.
People who ask well thought out questions generally get the best answers. There are good people here that take the time to give quality answers. IME, people generally only get stomped on for saying something stupid (not to be confused with ignorant).
Yes, I was sarcastic, but specifically because the OP broke that (your) same rule. I don't see the original post as any differnt than walking into a diner and and the first words to the waitress as "want big sandwich".
I get on my eight-year-old's case for saying "I'm hungry". At least that is a *complete* declarative sentence. And yes I am sarcastic to her to and say things like "Gee sweetie, that's too bad ....... wereyou tying to ask for something? I did not hear a question". She is a very bright, articulate girl who is very capapble of asking properly and usualy does.
If I must, I'll give useful advise to the OP: " Do a Google seach". The expertise in the group is far more suited to help design an aquruim stand and to locate a plan for anything (JT notwithstanding :-))
Regards,
Steve

Rich,
I have made 3 aquarum stands, all from oak, but each very different designs. I feel I have something to offer on the topic.
However, people who ask well thought out questions generally get the best answers.
Steve, Agreed, his question (statement, fragment) wasn't well thought out and he could/should have articulated himself better. I still don't see a need to flamespray someone.
Also, I wasn't lawn-darting you specifically, it is just a trend in this NG as well as many others. I think the anonymity of NG's tends to lend them to "less than face to face civility". My observation FWIW. I try to post as if I were talking to my mother, She knew nothing about my hobbies and I gave her the utmost respect. It works for me most of the time.
As an instructor, I live by the axiom that there is never a stupid question just a poorly asked one. I guess its how you look at it. I prefer to see the glass half full not half empty..
Sorry about my rant, I'll get off my soapbox and go back to my corner now. And Steve thanks for the good advice I have seen you post in the past. Rich Harris

I'll have to agree to disagree on that.
To quote my boss: "How big is a piece of string?". Useful in a rhetorical sense, but otherwise pretty stupid.

It was stupid of me to call it a stupid question.
I should have said that I was offended by the question because it was lazy on two levels.
Cheers
- Steve
Sorry about the declarative question. I was looking for some other ideas on case construction and trim finishing. Thanks Bubba great ideas. Also Im sorry for not being as articulate in the way I wrote the sentence that was not complete. When my children are hungry I do ask what they would like to eat and then feed them.

Think about the future. When they are 20 years old and "tell" you they are broke, will you give them money or kick them out to find a job? Nit picking, but there is a difference in life's communications when you make a statement or ask a question. I listen, but do not always react, to a statement. But I respond to a question.

That's much better.
Here's a start. See what appeals to you in terms of style and function.
http://images.google.com/images?svnum &hl=en&q=aquarium+stand&spell=1
(go to Google.com click on images, then type in "aquarium stand")
There are four ways to go about the engineering of a stand (that I can think of).
1. Basically a table (open bottom) 2. 2x4 skeleton with plywood skins 3. Structural plywood box (like a kitchen cabinet) 4. Traditional solid wood frame and panel construction.
But that is all putting the cart before the horse. Use the Google images to get an idea of what you want and let that, in conjunction with your skill set and tool portfolio, be your guide.
Start with "what" and work towards "how".
Refine your idea of what, and share with us your vision. Let us know a bit about your skills and tools and we can likely make some very specific recommendations.
Regards,
Steve
Good advice but I would also suggest that the design and construction needed for say a 10 gallon tank differs significantly from that required for a 180 gallon tank. Not only is the tank larger and hence heavier, but the physical dimensions are different. It is not terribly unusual for a 10 gallon tank to be on a stand that is approximately table height but larger tanks are usually situatied somewhat lower. This has to do with viewing height as well as the ease/practicality of lifting the tank up higher and also of maintaining it.

Quite true. I have a 110 gallon tank sitting on a base that is only 1.5" tall. The top of the tank is about table height. At that height, I don't have to stand on anything for maintenance and it doesn't unduly block the window it is in front of.

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:14:40 -0600, "Doug Brown"

Not only that, but you have to consider what kind of tank you're building the stand for. A marine tank is going to require different equipment than a fresh water tank. A marine tank requires a lot more filtration, different lighting, etc. and all of that has to go somewhere.
Sarcasm aside, what kind of style are you looking for? I saw one of the plans for a 55 gal stand in the Yahoo! search link that looked like nothing but 2x4's. I'm assuming you'd like something a little less "industrial" looking? Do you want cabinet doors hiding some shelves or a more open look like a table?

I think the link to <http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildStand.asp is way cool and very nicely done.
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

70gal. tank. No 2x4's here just solid hardwood. I'll leave the stand pics up for a couple weeks...
Ya'll can see the new shop too. It almost finished.
http://users.adelphia.net/~larrydrum /
Larry

Larry - very nice, everything. I have a couple of questions...
1) Where's all the clutter?
2) What did you use for stain and finish on the aquarium stand?
3) What type of joinery did you use on the stand? It's hard to tell from the limited pictures, but the sides look to be well joined to the face styles so as to give a monolithic look. How about the joinery of the carcass to the base itself?
4) Post more pictures if you have them. I for one, really enjoy watching a nice project unfold through the various stages.
Again - very nice. Now get that place cluttered up a bit.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Thanks Mike,
The shop is too new for clutter... Just got the final on it Jan 5 and I'm still getting all the work spaces done. Outfeed table and assembly table are next after the long work bench/CMS RAS table is done.
The finish on the stand is a mystery. My neighbor is a wood finisher and he took it away in the white state and brought it back like you see it. It took him 6 weeks but he had to do it twice. Something about MEK in a mis-labeled can and spraying it on as the "final" top coat of lacquer.
I know he used a combination of dyes, multiple coats of lacquer and what else I do not know. But is is beautiful.
Unfortunatly I don't have a lot of picturers of the build. I was working in a cramped garage with little space, and less time. At least with the new shop space is no longer an issue.
The joinery is mostly bisquit and the wood is all planed down to about 1 1/16 as memory serves. The top and bottom are also bisquits on the end panels and the center supports are M/T joints to the carcass.
Larry