Anyone Tried This Saw Blade Storage System?

Page 3 of 3

I have one of those cases that I use for screwdriver bits. I would think it would be pretty small for reciprocating blades, though. Most of my blades are pretty long.

I like the first one, built into a larger cabinet.
On 12/27/10 4:31 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I did not see that... thanks for the correction. Actually not a bad deal with the blades.
--

-MIKE-

On 12/27/2010 12:56 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I was at Lowes yesterday and they had the Dewalt Tube thing I mentioned for $28. Well, the tube was free the blades were $28.

Yes, the angled slot one, that's the one I'd make.
--
Jack

I keep 12" demo blades, too, and that's too small for them.

Had he taken the time to lay out the parameters of answers he wished for in advance, he wouldn't have been as miffed now, huh? I hope that people pick up on this concept. Ask a simple question, get a wide variety of answers. Ask a specific question and tell folks what you've looked at why you don't like some designs, and you get a much better informed answer.
They'll also waste far less time complaining about the quality of the answers.
-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

And, I might add, there's been enough real nice ideas/links to inspire anyone to make something out of some basic materials laying around. Pencil, paper, wood, saw. Make something for yourself instead of buying it.
RP

If anyone read my original post closely, I was pretty specific. As usual, folks ignored what I asked and launched off on various tangents.
I didn't ask if there was another way to store blades. I am quite familiar with every other option mentioned in this thread. I've tried several of them in the past. What I asked was if anyone had any actual experience with the specific product in question, and could tell me if it was sturdy and if the recip blade storage was any good.
Next time (if I bother), I will try to be even more explicit is asking my questions. I will also endevour to list all of the unrelated things I do NOT need to hear about.
Doug White

I suggest that you don't bother.. Whining is really bothersome.. You're tiring..

Bingo.
Mac you wax so poetically.
Lew
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:10:43 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 23:17:40 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@SPLINTERSbajawoodcraft.com wrote:

Hai, Miyagisan.
-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus
On 12/27/2010 7:21 PM, Doug White wrote:

How nice. Well, Doug, since you are so pressed for time I won't bother to suggest just where you can stick those reciprocal saw blades. I'm sure many others here have resisted the temptation to tell you that also.
Reading through your responses it is clear that while you have more than enough time to waste both asking the original question, commenting on some of the other poster's suggestions and, now, complaining that we didn't give you exactly what it was you're looking for, you apparently do not have the time to pull a circular saw blade from one side of a carrier or another. What a shame.
I suggest that to do a Google search on "Psychic Saw Blade Holders" Perhaps you can find one which will read your mind as you walk (or stumble) to your shop and eject it out the top of the carrier as you enter. That should save you some time, right? Either that or, maybe you SHOULD just take a handful of reciprocal blades and shove them up...
<...snipped...>

Geez, that would take half the fun out of usenet...

On 12/27/2010 4:38 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The Dewalt tube thing-ee in 9.5 inches long, so while it is a really nice container, it won't work with 12" blades. If you have a Milwaukee Sawzall, the metal case has a place for the blades so you just throw them in the case.
The demo blades are pretty much all you need anyway, they cut through about everything, except concrete:-(.
--
Jack

And some of us may have wall space but wouldn't dirty it with pegboards. I've never liked the things at all.

"On pegs" would be my guess. ;)

It would take as long to purchase and unpack the storage containers as it would to build from scrap at hand, Doug.
For recip blades, 1/4" dadoes would hold ~3 blades per. Narrower dadoes for individual blades could be cut at an angle and the board hung from the side of the saw storage box you built in the other hour.
-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Why don't you build your own out of 1/8" and 1/4" plywood, with MDF housing? http://tinyurl.com/2wyn66h , http://tinyurl.com/2vt25rn
--snip-- From Art Mulder in '05: I have a simple drawer unit that I built for storing saw blades. Found the idea in a magazine about 10 years ago, if I recall correctly.
Just make a plywood box, but run 1/8" saw kerfs in the sides every 1-2" up the side. Then lay the blades on pieces of 1/8" hardboard that slide in the kerfs as "drawers". Tack a small piece of wood on the front of each "drawer" to close up the front and voila.
The advantage of this is that each blade is kept separate, no dinging into other blades to damage the teeth, or scrape your hands. Glue a small dowel piece in the middle of each drawer to keep the blade from sliding around. --snip--
Or try something cheaper for the 7-1/4" set? http://tinyurl.com/2uv5a63 Ten dolla.
-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.
On 12/26/2010 08:12 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

He doesn't have time - too busy building violins.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/128585/Office-Depot-45percent-Recycled-File-Box /
Store the sawzall blades in a cheap tackle box.