Anyone Tried This Saw Blade Storage System?

I have five 10" saw blades, several 7" blades, and a big pile of saber / reciprocating saw blades that I would like to organize better. This system caught my eye:

seems a bit pricey, but it might be worth it to reduce the chaos in my shop significantly.

Anyone try this & have any comments? I'm interested in whether it's reasonably sturdy, and how well the reciprocating saw blade inserts work. Storing circular saw blades is pretty simple, but the reciprocating blades come in a huge range of sizes & shapes. It's impossible to tell how many blades one insert might hold.

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I hang mine on a nail. Or brads for sabre saw blades.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Ditto. If you're really anal, you might want to separate your blades with a piece of cardboard or maybe even thin plywood with a hole in the middle.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

$40 for an "environmentally friendly" plastic box?? Bang something together out of scraps. It won't cost a thing. It is just a box. And if you love plastic, there is lots of plastic boxes available. You just need some cardboard or thin plywood to separate the blades.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

------------------------------------------ Building your own blade storage using 3/8" plywood is a good winter time project.

Built several as follows:

Blank out some 11-1/2" blanks.

Using a router and a circle jig, cut a 10-1/4" dia circle out of half the blanks.

Glue a solid and a circle blank together, knock off the corners, add a

1/2" dia hanging hole in a corner and a 1/4"-20 x 3/4" flat head machine screw with a fender washer and a wing nut to retain the saw blade and you are good to go.

Add a coat of shellac to prevent dirt marks.

Grab a beer and admire your work.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Come on, you can do better than that.

Reply to
Larry W

No and yes...

Other than if one were porting stuff around, I see nothing much at all to recommend this for shop use and if you want a box, well, you _do_ have something to use those blades on, don't you????

--

Reply to
dpb

I looked at those, but decided on the Blade Runner style instead.

fits in well with my dado sets and I already had a similar case for my 7" blades, from a cheap set. It doesn't solve the problem for other style blades, though.

Reply to
krw

I think that would work great if you're taking blades with you to a job site, as it looks like it would protect well and could be thrown around a bit.

For for shop use, I would hate to have to undo that wingnut and remove all the blades just to get to the one I want. I had a cymbal case like that and I hated it every time I had to use it. I know have a case where each cymbal just drops into the top with dividers in between.

I keep my blades on a dowel and even though there is no wingnut to remove, I still can't stand having to take blades off to get to the one I want.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Short of driving three blocks and taking a picture, here's a quickie sketchup version of mine:

hold all the blades I own safely and costs about 30 minutes of time with a dado stack and leftover 3/4" plywood.

If you have a shop, and the talent to use it, you can't go wrong rolling your own ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Good grief. Aren't we woodworkers? Why spend that kind of money on an environmentally friendly product that will be in the landfill for

1,000,000 years after discarded. There are hundreds of storage options available including nails and pegboard hooks.

Some folks make a living selling stuff that we really don't need but must acquire before anyone else has it.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

---------------------------------- This is a pdf file from WoodSmithShop with engineering drawings and step by step instructions.

Lew Hodgett

dpb wrote in news:if8joe$irt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Yes, and every free second I have to use my tools is already spoken for. I have better things to do with my limited shop time than make boxes for my saw blades. I may not have time to touch my saw for 3 or 4 months at a crack. That means that finding my saw blades in good condition (no rust, no dust, and sharp) without having to rummage for them is a good thing. I have a couple places where I store various table saw blades, but nothing really useful for reciprocating saw blades.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've already got one of those, and it seems like the circular saw blade I want is always on the inside. I have a Shopsmith, with a large arbor, so I had to make special plastic washers to hold those blades. Basically, if you have more than 2 blades (one on each side), it's not very convenient to use.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

purposes down and dirty is all that is needed.

YMMV ...

Happy Holidays, Lew ... hoping the rain didn't wash you away!

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:YpidnZ4yu4q8R4rQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's nice, but it holds one size of blades, and doesn't address the 20 or 30 reciprical saw blades I have.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

RonB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t35g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

Contrary to popular opinion, not everyone has wall space for pegboard. My walls are covered in shelves. How do you hang reciprocating saw blades on pegboard?

I'm enquiring about a pre-fab solution, not another project I don't have time for.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I keep my blades stacked on the lower shelf of my work bench stowed in the original cardboard sleeve they came in. The sleeves are even labled. Works well for me.

Reply to
Nova

Piece 'o cake:

Swingman

Back at you.

Only got another 1" of rain in a quickie.

When the sun comes up, we'll be in the high cotton waiting for the next two (2) storms expected this coming week.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett