Anyone test strength of TBII Extend vs. regular TBII?

Page 1 of 4
I've made a couple of tests of the relative strengths of these two glues, and my empirical testing (limited, but real-world) tells me that the Extend isn't as strong as the regular. The mfgr. literature shows them to be very close in strength and their tech support line concurs with their official position.
dave

before the glue joint fails, what difference does it make if one glue that's stronger than the wood isn't quite as strong as some other glue that's also stronger than the wood?
that's the problem. the glue adhered to the end grain and didn't stick to the face of the test pieces. I got essentially the same result twice in a row. About 10% of the failed side had wood slivers extracted, but the remainder of the glued joint had all the glue separated from it as it failed. So it WASN'T stronger than the wood. NOW do you see why I'm concerned about using a product for the first time? It's not doing what I'd expect. Reality is more important to me than advertising, claims, anecdotes, and opinion.
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

On 12 Dec 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

    No one, and by that I mean NOT A FREAKING SOUL, makes glued end-grain joints, Dave. Or end-grain to face-grain joints. So your premise is BAD to begin with.
    Make two identical mortise and tenon joints, glue one with each kind, and pull them apart with a hydraulic press. There's probably a measurable difference in the strength. But unless you are going to subject the furniture you build to that extreme, it isn't going to make a bit of difference.
i gave a partial explanation. I also did face to face and it failed.
dave
Scott Cramer wrote:

Scott Cramer wrote:

Hmmm... Not that I want to disagree with your disagreeing with that idiot in my killfile, but... I made some poster frames too short. They're completely supported by the posters, and need no strength, so I just fitted in some extra pieces, end grain to end grain, no dowels. So, yes, I did it.
Didn't last worth a damn though. I broke two of them just assembling the frames. For this, it didn't really matter. They look fine on the wall, unless you get too close, and if you're that close to a poster, get a life!
I don't know WHY I took him out of mine...I guess hope springs eternal that these proponents of rudeness will turn over a new leaf...what was I thinking?? :)
dave
Silvan wrote: snip

snip

Well _Duh_ !
this was a COMPARATIVE test; a test between two TYPES of adhesive; therefore the test was one of less-than-ideal joints, Andy!
dave
Andy Dingley wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

of adhesive used?
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
worse case scenario. A destructive test is worthless if there is no failure, my friend!
dave
Rick Chamberlain wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

Wrongo Dave.
This joint would fail under any conditions, regardless of glue used. The only true test is edge jointing four strips of the same wood, applying the same amount of glue to each joint, clamping at the same pressure over the same period of time, then doing a tensile and shear test on the joints.
You then run your tests until failure and measure the results. THAT would produce your worst case scenraio.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
ah, HOW is edge joining a "worst case scenario"??
DOESN'T ANYBODY READ BEFORE RESPONDING? IS EVERYONE ELSE IN AS MUCH OF A HURRY AS I USUALLY AM, AND SKIMS THE THREAD, MISSING THE POINT??? THIS WAS A FRICKIN' COMPARATIVE TEST, DESIGNED SO THAT THE BOND WOULD FAIL. I WANTED TO SEE WHICH GLUE HELD B E T T E R.
dave
Rick Chamberlain wrote:

Dave.
We can all read. I've, for some bizarre reason, read every message in this thread. I understand the point you're trying to make and the points others are making.
Bottom line, you are wrong. Your test was not of the glue, because the glue was not relevant to the failure of the joint. Period.
Please move on.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Would you do a "comparative" test of umbrellas by seeing which one made the best parachute?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
yes. That would indicate which one could hold up to near hurricane force winds. That would be a legitimate test, LAWRENCE!! Let's get you a job at Underwriters Lab.
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

learn how real engineers would test something - they use a valid testing protocol. Your test was not comparative, since no one in their right fricking mind would use a joint like that in any proper woodworking project.
You'd do well to take your own advice, Davy.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
My advice to myself is to ignore this thread!
Rick Chamberlain wrote: snip
Homer wrote:

Late coming but we hope you'll remember it "before" the next bout.
As I've said before, a guy can dream, can't he?
UA100
WE? Have you got a miscreant in your pocket?
dave