Strength of wood

Hi

Can anyone help me rank in terms of resistance to moisture, strength, or durability, which is best. I am choosing a knife handle but is unfamiliar with the woods quality. which is usally the most dense?

thanks

oak hickory beech walnut olive wood

thanks

Reply to
wayne

please include ash wood too

thanks

Reply to
wayne

All my kitchen utensils have Rosewood handles.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

walnut would be a good choice. If your looking for something fancy, black ash burl is often used for fine knife making. I just shipped 20 burl blanks to a knife maker in Germany. Ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

I don't know anything about Olive Wood, but Hickory is the hardest and most dense of the other woods listed. It was the wood of choice for handles for hammers and axes, etc.

DonkeyHody "The best things in life . . . aren't things."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

What do you mean by strength? Here's a hardness scale:

might be more up your alley:

RicodJour

Hi, ANy of the woods you have listed abve will work for a nice handle. Of the woods listed, Walnut will make the most attractive and will wear well. If you finish the handle with polyurthane there will be no mositure problem. Oak, will be somewhat moisture resistand and is a very strong wood.

Randy

randyswoodshoop

Randy

http:nokeswoodworks.com

Reply to
randyswoodshoop

Among those you list, hickory. If you want the n'est plus ultra wood for the ALL characteristics you list, use lignum vitae...not always easy to find but most knife supply places will have it.

If you DO use lignum vitae, don't be surprised if it turns either sky blue or a bilious green when you apply a finish. That color will disappear in a day or two and the wood will be a rich, nutty brown. That brown can be anywhere from pretty light to almost as dark as walnut depending on the particular piece; regardless of the main color there will be darker markings as well.

Reply to
dadiOH

Mahogany is one of the most water resistant woods out there (along with walnut), but not many people use it for outdoor furniture or decks because of the expence. If I was making a knife handle however, it wouldn't cost very much.

Chuck

Reply to
Woodchuck34

WHITE oak is somewhat moisture resistant. Red oak is not and will probably blacken if it is left damp for any appreciable length of time.

Because it is commonly used for kitchen impliments I suspect that olivewood has good moisture resistance. After that, from the above list, walnut would be a second choice.

Locust is very hard and very moisture resistant, the same is true of osage orange aka hedge.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Strength really wouldn't play a part as a knife handle, but the other characteristics would. Regarding resistance to moisture, no knife with a wood handle should be soaked nor cleaned in a dishwasher as this will destroy any wooden handle. I would prefer wood that doesn't have pores, as these could collect moisture and other contaminants within the pores depending on the uses you intend.

Reply to
EXT