Anyone heard of "rotton stone"?

A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if I could find out anything.
I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood finishes. I used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot and Orchard and they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood working sites list it?
Any help would be appreciated. Bruce

More of a polish than for making wood look aged.
Yes, what Leon said. Go here: http://www.cheyennesales.com/catalog/behpumice.htm

Googling 'rottenstone' will tell you more about the subject than your friend wants to know.
Scott
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

You can get it thru Rockler's
This material is a fine abrasive, finer than pumice, used for rubbing out finishes, primarily lacquer. In use it is combined with a very light oil such as baby oil and is rubbed with a clean felt block. It is available at such places as Woodworker's Supply, Woodcraft, and similar stores. I can't imagine its use for aging a finish.

Read "aging" as an adjective rather than a verb - a comma afterward would have helped.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Rottenstone can be used for making wood look old. It is done by mixing it with wax and pushing into the corners and moldings of you work. It simulates dust accululation (you can also use cigar ashes.)
--
To reply, remove .nojunk from my email address.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 9-839
Preston

You have get two grades of fineness. Your usually start with Pumice Stone, then follow up with Rottenstone. It will polish lacquer and shellac finishes to a very high gloss. You can find both of them in paint stores such as Benjamin moores. In Canada Rona stores carry both, Lee valley carries it as well and they will do mail order

Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p 058&cat=1,190,43040
Looks like it to me. I forwarded it on to my friend. Thanks, Bruce
Allen wrote:

If someone is by you, before you use it explain to them that it is the stone and "you did not cut the cheese".

Tell your friend to go to an Automotive retail supply store and get 1000, 1200, and 1500 grit wet / dry sandpaper (usually near the car paint.) I like the 3M brand the best.
I tried the product your friend was talking about once, way too much trouble. It acts a lot like automotive rubbing compound, but for wood finish.
Automotive hobbyist who buff up their cars have a lot of products that do a lot of the same shine things that woodworkers want to do. The big difference is the wax added to the car shine stuff, which can be cleaned off. If you have access to a car buffer try a few of the Meguiar's Mirror glaze line of products. For example, after grit 1500 wet/dry, then Meguiar's #1, then #5 (or #7), and I think you can skip to #9.
Phil

Thanks for the help. My friend confirms that is what he is looking for. Thanks, Bruce
Phil-in-MI wrote:

Sun, Jul 2, 2006, 8:18pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (BruceFarley) doth claimeth: A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if I could find out anything. I am looking for a product called rotten stone <snip>
Hypertext Webster Gateway: "rotten stone" From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 (gcide) <snip>{Rotten stone} (Min.), a soft stone, called also Tripoli (from the country from which it was formerly brought), used in all sorts of finer grinding and polishing in the arts, and for cleaning metallic substances. The name is also given to other friable siliceous stones applied to like uses. [1913 Webster] <snip>
JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal