Anybody Heard Of North State?

I've found a local supplier of North State 8" jointers for under $900. Does anybody know anything about them? Googling has been amazingly unproductive, which worries me. On the other hand, it is a 2 HP 220V jointer with a 66" bed, made in Taiwan and supposedly a Delta clone copied from the older Delta jointers.

You can see the one I'm looking at:

posted something else in another thread but either nobody saw it or nobody knows. Anybody got any input?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Wild guess, a branded Taiwanese jointer.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I haven't heard on them either - but am interested if anyone else has. I am in the market for an 8" jointer, but can't decide which myself. I also (today) found out about another taiwanese that is supposed to be the same as a DJ-20. It's a Oasis Machinery J1008C. I'd be interested in hearing anything about it as well.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Oelke

You must be in the Charlotte area. As far as I know, Northstate is a Taiwanese knockoff that is made for and sold by LeNeave Supply in Charlotte. I have had one for about

3 years and have gotten good service from it. The only trouble I have ever had was the set screws worked loose on the cutter head pulley and let the key slip out. I pulled the cover, slipped the key back in, put a couple of drops of Loctite on the set screws and tightened them up. No trouble since.

I have been well pleased with it. Much easier to use than the 6" machine I had before.

I've got quite a bit of other Northstate equipment in my shop (bandsaw, mortiser, shaper, table saw, edge and spindle sanders) and have been pleased with all of it. Like most of the Taiwanese equipment you may need to take a file and knock off the occasional sharp edge or do a little minor tuning but I've had to do the same on some of the Delta equipment I have in the shop.

If you are willing to drive to the Monroe area you are welcome to try mine out before you decide.

Greg, Jeff, and Larry are great guys to work with. They are knowledgeable and will take the time to help you. I have been doing business with them a long time and have always been well satisfied. The store kind of reminds me of and old time hardware store. Lots of equipment sitting around to look at, so of it in dis-array, but if you ask one of the guys for something they always seem to know right where it is at.

Hope the info helps,

Rick

Reply to
rick

I finally found a bunch of stuff about it. The actual manufacturer is GeeTech who also makes stuff for Sunhill and Jet. After talking with the older fellow at Leneave's yesterday, I took a more critical eye to the Delta I was contemplating at Blume's. This morning I went to Blume's to find out how much their "show" discount was and the Delta was going for $995, marked down from $1049.

A few things that stuck out: the mechanism to raise and lower the bed on the Delta was managed by levers as opposed by handwheels on the North State. The starter switch on the Delta is non-magnetic; the North State has a magnetic starter. The Delta has a 1.5 HP motor; the North State 2 HP. The Delta has a slightly longer bed: 72" as opposed to the North State at 67". Both of them could herniate a buffalo.

Too late. I put the money down a couple of hours ago. I won't actually collect my jointer until Monday as they'd moved all their stock out to the woodworking show at the Merchandise Mart for the show this weekend. The jointer, a mobile base, dust collection plate, and tax came to $950. Just the same, your comments are welcome. I'd have felt terrible if you'd said buying North State was the worst decision you'd ever made.

Yeah, I hate to say the place was a dump. But he had no problems coming up with what he needed. The walls and floors took me back to my grandfather's sheetmetal shop in the Bronx. Obviously the place has been there forever. Mr. Leneave told me the business was started by his father in that location back in

1957 when dinosaurs roamed the earth... and I was three.
Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Where is this place? My daughter lives in Charlotte and I come up there occasionally to visit. Doesn't preclude visiting good tool stores while I'm there...

I can find my way around reasonably.

Reply to
LRod

Blume's has a prettier store well set up for retail: they're on South Blvd just a little bit south of Remount Rd. Leneave's is like somebody else said: it reminds you of an old fashioned hardware store. Going north on South Tryon St until you get to Morehead St. Turn left (west) and it's three blocks down on the left. 305 W. Morehead St.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Been to Blumes (and the Klingspor store) but can't turn down an opportunity to see an old time store no matter how it looks. I'll find it next time I'm up. Thanks.

Reply to
LRod

I went by LeNeave's this morning to pick up my 8" jointer and the older Mr. LeNeave showed me pictures of your workshop. All I can say is, if you die tomorrow, you won. (He who dies with the most toys wins.)

I've seen professional shops that had less stuff. And yours is clean too. Very impressive place.

Speaking of impressive, my buddy and I were very impressed with the weight of the jointer. What a beast. I'm gonna stencil "CVN74" somewhere on it in honor of a deck large enough to land an aircraft. It seems appropriate.

I'm taking my time with it. Today I put together the mobile stand, mounted the base, then set the bed on top and bolted it down. The belts are installed along with the dust port. Tomorrow I'll finish up with the magnetic switch and see if it'll run.

Did I mention how heavy it is?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Let us know what you think after running it some. I think the crowbars have just about got my wallet open so I can buy an 8" jointer, and this sounds pretty close to what I would like.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan Oelke