Re: Restoring #8, part 1 (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

> > I had been looking for an old Stanley #8 for a couple of years but I could > not find one I could afford, or if I could aford it, it was a total piece of > scrap. I was cruising Ebay last week and I saw one here in Canada for sale, > it looked pretty tough, but it was all there. For $118 CDN (to my door) I > had a real Stanley # 8, type 11 (1910-1918). In the photos, it does look > bad,

Not at all. A little surface rust, and the iron is almost history; but otherwise it looks good. Check the front of the mouth for wear. I have a T11 #5-1/2C whose iron was worn shorter than your #8's. The front of the mouth had become slightly concave from use. Not necessarily a problem in a jack but maybe troublesome in a jointer.

but it is all there, just needs a little, *ahem*, work. The blade is a > total write off, but I already picked up a new #8 Hock for under $20.

Double gloatin' are ye?

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

There is a large pit just back of the knob, but way before the throat. I have not checked for flatness yet, but I will lap it anyway. This will be a good user jointer...

I was thinking about getting a new Hock chipbreaker, but this one looks in better shape than I thought it would be.

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

I usually take some #400 sandpaper to them and see whats underneath! Usually it just is a matter of simple cleaning and lapping

Reply to
danger