Any opinons of Anant planes (mentioned in another thread)?

Somebody suggestted to look at Anant planes as an inexpensive way to learn how to use planes before plonking down the money for a more expensive plane.
I sort of like that idea because that way I can hose the plane and not cry. But if all it is going to do is frustrate the hell out of me, I don't know if I want to go in this direction.
Learning to use hand tools is beginning to really intrigue me and I would like to stock up on things like planes but I donk't want to ruin anything that may be of decent value.
Or am I going about this thing totally wrong? Trust me: if I can break something, I will.
On 23 Jan 2006 08:37:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Who?!
They'll just convince you that all planes are unusable and should be avoided. Don't use one - certainly don't waste money on buying one.
That was my initial thought but then I was pointed to Highland Hardware who, I thought, only sold decent stuff. Doesn't mean I am not wrong!
I keep looking for more planes as I only have a #4, a block plane, and a router planes (all old Stanleys). I know I need more, especially at least a #6 but I would like a #7 (I think!). But I have been having a hard time finding them and I seem to always lose the stupid eBay auctions in the last seconds.
I know I may hose a plane before I know how to use it properly but then again, I don't want to break it throwing it against a concrete block wall either, so if a plane is going to be nothing but frustration, I don't want to buy one. On the other hand, if it is more-or-less usable and is something I can hack away with until I get some skill (or at least find a decent old one to buy), then it may be worth it.
Know what I mean? I hope I am conveying my thoughts so others can understand!
I'd try to be patient w/ the Bay, for the bench planes. For some special planes, that are usually going HIGH enough on the bay (co**ector's item, for example, the Stanley #10, etc.) I would then try the Anant. On the other hand, there's LeeValley/Veritas, from which you can get decent planes almost out-of-box, and make the using of handplanes a pleasureable experience. If you are on a tight budget, try some WW forums, that you'll find some members selling old Stanleys at reasonable price.
With all the above, I'd buy Anant, for, say, the #10, the #77A (if you just want to have one), and the Anant 778.

I think I know what you mean.
I bought a new Stanley #92 because I needed a plane for a project I was working on. It was bout $70 as compared with a LN at $129 or so. Lee Valley had not made their equivalent at the time. So, I bought what I thought was a decent plane and saved 50 or 60 bucks. Or did I?
Getting the plane home, it did a rather poor job. I took it apart, honed the blade and tried it again. Better, but not as good as a L-N I had used previously.
Took it apart again and lapped the bottom plate. Now it was better, but I also had about three hours of work into it. Some like the time to do something like that, but for me, it was just another chore. I'd rather utilize my time elsewhere. and I'm not on the payroll at Stanley. My point is, if you are new especially, it is easy to get frustrated by a lack of top quality.
I later bought a Lee Valley LA block plane. Opened the box, made an adjustment on the blade and shaved some wood. That is the way it should be.
Touch. I understand.
Ugh. I don't have nearly the amount of money I would need to get a lot of the stuff I want--be it hand tools or power tools.
It just so ^#@!~%#$^(%))@@!!! hard when you have very little, want it all, and haven't the money. I am being impatient, I guess.
Of course, they tell me that it is more fun pursuing that elusive thing be in in eBay, at garage sales, or what have you, as it is using the thing once you get it. I just need to be more patient and enjoy the journey, I guess.
BUT OT'S SO FRIGGIN' HARD!!!!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Well, you could make a plane or two.
But yeah, there are good planes to be had by auction.
er
--
email not valid

If you already have a few old Stanleys, you might consider saving up for a Steve Knight plane - hand made wood planes that are really works of art as well as very functional planes (with some of the beefiest irons I've seen). Check out knight-toolworks.com No affiliation other than a satisfied customer, Andy
Andy wrote:

One of those is already on my shortlist, if you're talking to me. :)
er
--
email not valid

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:10:13 -0800, busbus opined:

That's why I got into toolmaking. Learn enough metallurgy over on alt.crafts.blacksmithing to temper your own blades. Start with the easy items, such as marking and cutting gauges. Bottom-feed on ebay for saws and such. Forget power tools. ...and don't buy any Anant junk.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

Edwin, just WHERE did you buy a Stanley #92 for $70??? And, what year was that?
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

It was a few years ago at Woodcraft. I see they are $93 now. I also had a 10% discount at the time so the list may have been a couple of dollars more.

That's decent of you, thanks. I also went to searching and found it. I thought these things were something like "barely available", but they are out there! HHHPH!
I have this pretty old #90 which uses a 1" blade so I *WONDER*, if I bought the solid top body part of the #93 direct from Stanley, would it fit the #90 base. There is no doubt variations in design over the years, so I doubt it. Maybe Andy knows.