Any comments on experiences with consignment shops

I have been looking around some consignment shops in the area, some have a low space rental + commission; some have a hefty space rental but no commission.
The place I looked at today would charge $240/mo for ~8x10 booth, but no commission. Not bad if your stuff sells.
Another place charges a lower space rental, $80/mo for ~8x10 floorspace + 20% commission. You can also leave single pieces with no space charge but much higher (~40% commission).
Both places specialize in furniture and a wide variety of crafts. I haven't got down to brass tacks with these folks yet... anything I should be wary of? Questions to ask? Anyone here have any positive experiences selling by consignment? TIA
--
McQualude

McQualude wrote:

Yes. The place I dealt with was a gallery and they took my stuff (turned boxes and bowls (bowels here on the wreck)) on true consignment (I didn't pay rent). It was good for additional spending money every week but I didn't/couldn't make a living on that one shop. That was twenty years ago and the minor details have been long forgotten.
UA100
I think the real decision comes down to the math but you can't make that determination until you can see what kind of volume you can generate.
I can say that straight consignment here in California is 50% and most of the places like to set the price themselves. In the furniture places that are mostly selling used furniture also typicially start lowering the price each month. Interestingly, if you can afford to sell at their prices, these places sell a very high percentage opf what they take in.
BW

JGS spaketh...

Both, you set the minimum price, they add 20%, but reserve the right to offer promotional discounts (up to 10%). The discount comes off the minimum sale price.
--
McQualude