#$%&*( ants

Put out some Real Kill ant bait. Just watched an ant come out of the little thingie with a piece of bait in his mouth, walk to the edge of the counter, toss the bait in the trash can under the counter, clean his antennas, go back into the bait thingie, and come out with another one, and toss it in the trash.

After I got through laughing I did him a favor and tossed the rest of it for him.

Anybody know of any ant bait that _works_?

Reply to
J. Clarke

i use amdro outside and it works. you may not want to use it if you have pets and keep it away from them.

Reply to
charlie

Boric Acid. It's cheap and relatively safe (less toxic than table salt).

Reply to
keithw86

My daughter was bothered by ants in her kitchen earlier this spring. I used Ortho Bug-Be-Gone to spray a swath on the entire outside perimeter of her house about 3' up the wall and 5' from the foundation using a pump-up tank sprayer. The ants were gone in less than three days.

Ants nest in the ground and enter the house in search of food, returning to the nest with the goods, following an ant trail. A close inspection of the exterior of the house might show where they're entering.

If you do spray the perimeter of the house it's important not to skip any areas.

Reply to
Nova

As someone has already suggested, boric acid.

BTW, you will keep my customer happy, they mine the stuff.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Apparently your bait works fine, the ant goes right to it. If you want to kill them, step on them.

Or use Amdro.

Reply to
Leon

Boric acid is not a bait.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Terro-PCO bait stations is what my pest-control guy uses. Seems to have worked; no ants now for better than six months. Google it the name; available even from Amazon.

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Put a couple of drops of maple syrup on the floor. When the little bastards show up for lunch stomp their little butts into oblivian!

RonB :^)

Reply to
RonB

It *sure* is. They think (the bait part) it's sugar and bring it home to the queen. It's a a dessicant, so she dries up with the rest of the colony.

Reply to
keithw86

A place I woked at used dry cleaning fluid as a degreaser. I took a few ounces home and late at night when all the little critters are back in the nest, I dropped a table spoonfull on the nest and covered it with a cardboard box. No more anthill.

I can't think of the chemical name of the stuff, but it's in the same family as carbon tet. This stuff is heavier than water and displaces air in its vapor form - think suffocation. Probably not a good idea to use in the house, basement or poorly ventilated shop.

cselby

When I had ant issues one year I used some Grant's bait stations around the house wherever I could see a heavily-travelled ant trail, the wee beasties were gone within a week.

DGDevin

Doesn't need to be if you can find the trails and/or the holes they use to get in.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Here's another vote for Amdro. Die Fire Ants, DIE!!!!!!

Before I got environmentally conscious, I'd slip out about sundown and put a teaspoon of gasoline on top of each fire ant hill. The vapors being heavier than air would sink down into the mound and suffocate all the little beasts. Had to quit because after about a week of doing this, a buddy of mine flicked a cigarette butt on the ground and blew up my back yard. Amdro is safer.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

but has to be mixed with something to draw the ants to it and make them=20 want to take it home... and ants' requirements change through the year=20 and according to type.

With the ants we have around here:

Peanut butter & brown sugar baits work well early spring.

Sugar water baits seem to work better from mid to late spring onward.

There are a lot of recipes on-line.

We always refer to the book "Tiny Game Hunting" first.

Reply to
phorbin

Maybe the bait wasn't a good flavor. Some ants are sugar ants, some are grease ants, others are just plain piss ants. Most of the time Tero is very effective.

Reply to
Phisherman

No, they gladly take BA home with them. They think it's sugar.

Reply to
krw

Not a bait, but boiling water down their anthill actually kills them. Or vinegar down the anthill also works.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi