Another "Which Table Saw should I buy" thread

Ok, I've decided to purchase a table saw. I'm relatively new to woodworking, but have decided I don't want a table-top saw. My budget is ~$600. I think I've narrowed down my search to the following saws:
- Delta 36-680 ($599 free shipping) I like this saw but have not seen it in person. Delta has a rebate for a free Tenoning Jig, Dado Blade or mobile base - very enticing!
- Grizzly G0444Z ($575 + $78 shipping) I've heard great things about Grizzly's. This seems to be the most powerful saw in this price range. Shipping and the need to purchase a blade makes this saw more expensive than the other two.
- RIDGID TS3650 ($569 at HD) I've heard good and bad about this saw. The mobile base is nice, love the cast iron wings and the fence *seems* to stay in place pretty nicely.
I plan on starting with one of the saws above and as my skills develop upgrading to a Biesemeyer home fence system. If you own/have experience with any of these saws, please chime in and let me know your likes/dislikes.
Thanks!
Do yourself a huge favor....find your local tool dealer and go see him. Talk with him in person...tell him of your needs and what you want to build now and in the future. Build a realtionship. The heck with free shipping and the lowest dollar price. Buy the right saw and get some help and support from someone that you can trust and do business with face to face. Do you have a Rockler or WoodCraft near by? Good luck: Mike from American Sycamore www.americansycamoreretreat.com
Thanks for the advice Mike. I'll have to swing by my local Woodcraft again to look at saws. Last I was there the guy I spoke to recommended the unisaw and had little else to say. I would love a unisaw, but don't have the room or the budget for one.

Good saw, don't let the tenoning jig make up your mind.

You'll need a good blade with any of the saws you buy. The ones that come with them are mediocre and suitable for rough work, not fine furniture.

Of the saws you decided on, what did you like about them when you saw them? You did see them close up right? Saving money is nice, but having a good dealer that will assist you in buying and operation is more important. Tell us where you live and we can possibly recommend a good store to shop. IMO, any of the above look OK, but there may be a feature you like more than the others so check them out. My Woodcraft store spent a half hour with me going over the features and operation of my saw. That is worth something.
I can't speak to any of the saws below but you might also consider:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)08338896/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl60/103-5443221-5129404?v=glance&s=hi&nP7846
I have had this saw for about 4 years now and am very pleased with it. I just upgraded to a cabinet saw with the idea that I'd sell the Jet. I just can't seem to bring myself to getting rid of it though! Cheers, cc

(Amazon.com product link shortened)08338896/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl60/103-5443221-5129404?v=glance&s=hi&nP7846
This looks like the Jet that Lowe's sells for $599. Wish I had room for it, look at it every time I go in.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 05:18:57 GMT, "Highland Pairos"

When I upgraded almost 30 years ago to a Cabinet Saw I kept my old craftsman contractors saw...to use for cross cutting and for ocasional dado work...
IT came in extremely handy... a few years ago the cratsman developed some problems and it was out of service for only a week before I absolutely had to find a replacement for it.. So I went out and picked up a old Rockwell/Delta contractors saw....
I made a "Sled" for it...that allows me to adjust the cut + or - a few degrees just in case ...never needed any adjustments however... and I do 100 percent of my cross cutting on that saw... and if I have a project that requires dados I mount the dado blade on it...
Room in my shop is at a premium so I make a moble "base cabinet" for it and rool it to a corner when not in use...
Honestly I really depend on the flexability 2 table saws give me... if I did not then I would not have spent thr money replacing my secondary saw..
Bob Griffiths

I could think of a number of situations where having a second saw would be helpful. I'm constantly cutting stuff, changing to a dado or different blade, and realizing I forgot "one" cut. Then it's back to changing the blade again etc.... Might be nice to use the Jet as a dedicated crosscut saw and the cabinet saw for ripping/dado's, etc... Dunno, I just got the cabinet saw and haven't started a new project, yet. Cheers, cc
The idea of making a good sled for it and using it as a dedicated crosscut saw occurred to me at dinner tonight. That may be a great use for it.
SteveP.

Yeah, I've already got a crosscut sled for it so that may be just the ticket. Cheers, cc

On 13 Feb 2005 13:40:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Hobby horse time.
If you are relatively new to WW, do you _need_ a TS? There are many other tools and skills to think about first.
Think real hard. Seriously