Another Sketchup Question

Using the free version, is it possible to determine the line weight of each single line of a drawing, either retrospectively, or before it is drawn?

I can do this when manually tracing a pencil drawn scan with Paint Shop Pro, but then it doesn't do fancy perspective stuff.

Jeff, who thinks of his sore thumb/wrist every time he considers computer-aided drawing.

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

Ummm maybe? :!) You can set the line weight under Window-Styles, click on the Edit Tab, Click the far left "Edge Settings" Icon, and then enter an number in the profile box. Be sure the Display Edges and Profiles boxes are checked. The larger the enty the heavier the line weight.

This option IIRC is universal for the whole drawing. Unfortunately I think you can have only 1 line weight ina particular drawing.

Depth cue however can change the appearance of line thickness. This is dependent on how close you are to the drawing. As the line goes away from you it becomes thinner.

Reply to
Leon

Not sure if this is what you want to do but the Free version has a variety of styles. Go to the Window Drop down in the top menu and click on Styles. You can set it currently or retrospectively on a model. All sorts of different styles, some pretty strange, some pretty useful. I've only used the default and fooled a bit with xray and wire frame and some different shadings. You can change them at will and always get back to the default.

As for setting the line thickness, not sure how myself but according to here:

can do it.

********** Styles tab

The Styles tab contains style settings options for the currently selected SketchUp model. Click on a style to change the currently apply the style to the currently selected model. Refer to the Styles topic in the SketchUp User's Guide for further information on these options.

Line Weight

Line Weight refers to the thickness of the lines in the currently selected SketchUp file. Type a smaller number, such as .25, in the 'Line Weight' field to decrease the thickness of the SketchUp model's lines. Type a larger number, such as 1.5, to thicken your SketchUp model's lines.

*********

Trying to learn even a simple computer-aided drawing program like SU won't hurt your thumb/wrist, but could give you several computer-aided head aches... I read somewhere that you can take a hot iron to ink jet drawings and "iron" on the design rather than trace it... leaving you with nothing more than a head ache... never tried it myself...

Reply to
Jack Stein