Another shop comfort: Sound

Page 3 of 3

Line-level audio run from the primary system (via 75-ohm RG6/U) room-2 output to a 25 year old Kenwood 35 wpc integrated amp (KA-3500) feeding a pair of Yamaha bookshelf speakers.
Feeding the main system is a pair of Sony CDP-400 changers configured for random-play alternating between players for no delay between songs. 700 discs at approx 10 songs per for a 7000 song random play catalog (30% jazz, 70% rock).

In the garage at home, I have a used $30 Ebay bookshelf style stereo. The speakers are hung on the wall about 12' apart. The box is AM, FM, cassette and CD/mp3. I bought it for the CD changer but rarely use it. The whole unit is mounted high enough on the wall that it doesn't interfere with anything so the remote is a very handy feature.
On the job I rarely use a radio unless I'm doing something that doesn't require much thinking or if there's a Chiefs or KU game on. In those cases I use a small walkman FM radio with earbuds.
I've worked around a lot of guys using the various portable job site radios. I'd say 80% are the Dewalt but I think that's just because they were the first ones around. They sound okay and are sure portable enough to move around. Everytime I see one I have the urge to toss it down the stairs to see if the commercials are true.:-)
Mike O.
I use an older radio receiver (Kenwood I think) and its hooked to the old style wire antenna and a pair of 14x28 speaker boxes which are set up in the pitched part of the roof on the back wall above the ceiling joists (no ceiling). Works great, low or loud, and its outta the way. Receiver sets on a small shelf along that back wall. I've a thin cheese cloth over it so no problem with sawdust. John
Robatoy wrote:

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:25:30 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

An old clock radio turned low to 90.9 FM (in Detroit) WRCJ, I think ... classical radio all day, classical jazz all night.
It is background to my thinking, not competition. In fact, it's seldom even turned on.
I can ignore it when I need to think clearly but it's 'there' when I have an idle moment not requiring any sort of focus. When I'm doing any sort of concentrated thinking (figuring flow rate in fpm of my DC, for instance), it gets turned off.
I don't go to the basement to listen to music. I go there to make shavings and dust.
Bill