Another shop comfort: Sound

lol....you've met some of my friends, have you?
Klipsch, eh? What a blast (almost literally) from the past. One of my high-school teachers, I was buddies with his kid, had a single corner horn with a Radcliffe IIRC tube amp. Two big bottles (KT88's...again IIRC) on top of a box, glowing away, the filaments bouncing with the beat of the music...I was spell-bound. Unfortunately, all he listened to was military marching bands and German Miner's Choirs.
Fast-Forward to my work at the National Research Council in Ottawa, where my mentor, Dr. Floyd Toole had a pair of horns with a DC 300 Crown pushing them. He extolled the virtues of horns every chance he had. High efficiency, Low Harmonic distortion.
Indirectly, he was instrumental (no pun intended) in my interest in woodworking as I was a participant in the fabrication of a pair of folded horns made from marine ply and later a pair of British-style transmission-lines, IMF TLS-80-style.
Thanks for the re-wind, Mr. Swing.

I once had a conversation with another ham operator who was located in Tasmania. He was an elderly fellow who said that his career had been in the motion picture business and that he had recreated a complete historic movie theater at his home. He claimed to own a vintage Edison projector S/N 2 or something like that.
For his "talkie" equipment he had a pair of huge horns that he said would fill a theater with a few of watts of drive. To obtain one of these he had driven (after sailing to the mainland) all the way to Perth to bring it back.
The Kansas City market does not support "Easy Listening" stations. I have a stereo receiver in my shop with 4 ceiling mounted 10 speakers. I subscribe to XM Radio and my receiver transmits on any of several frequencies on the FM Broadcast band and has enough power to cover my house and detached garage that is about 50 ft from the house. I then have Channel 24 easy listening music at any radio or stereo receiver in the house or shop and really enjoy it.
Don Dando

recommend
pair -

latter
is

I have a used cd walkman, power is 2 AA batteries, connected line out to a set of old computer speakers powered by an ac adapter. I burn my music from computer to disc and use the discs in the shop. This way I can listen to what I want.
Dan J

Most of the time, background 'anything' will do, but when Offspring, Ramones or Idol come along, I want to be able to 'jack it'!
When I sit down to listen, I'm a lot pickier than that..... truth is, I listen to anything done well. Wasn't it Glen Miller who said: "When it sounds good, it *is* good."? (punctuation is a bitch here...)

Speaking of Glenn Miller, have you heard the CD titled, "The Lost Recordings"?
These were recordings of "The American Band of the Allied Expeditionary Force" made to be broadcast into Germany. Miller is even heard to announce some tunes in broken German.
The equipment was the best available at the time (they were using multiple mics) and the studio was Abbey Road (of Beatles fame).
There are some vocals by Johnny Desmond and Ray McKinley (both Sergeants at the time) and a very rare one by Dinah Shore. Great stuff.
Miller was lost shortly after these were done.

No I haven't, but I will. Thanks.
I tried the boom box and was disappointed, so I installed four high end 6 inch ceiling speakers and a self powered sub-woofer in the outer wall. Now I can blast the windows out if I want,seriously now I get great sound in any part of the shop and as I move around.
len
Pioneer receiver $100 (or cheaper) KLH indoor/outdoor speakers $65 a pair
You should be able to rock the neighborhood with that.
Robatoy wrote:

Music in the shop is pretty important to me - at the very least you need a radio for psycedlic sundays on Q107. Anyway, its not completely finished, but my in progress shop has
- buried cable from the house for ethernet, satalitte tv, and phone. - In the shop ive got a computer networked to my main house computer to access for 20gb mp3 collection. - Computer outputs to 200 watt kenwood reciever i no longer use since i upgraded in the house. - wired speaker cable in wall to all corners before drywalling so no wire laying around. - 4 paradigm speakers celing mounted on each corner of the shop. - contemplating hooking up 10' 100watt sub as well, thgough dont want the neighbours complaining.
not even close to what i used inside, but for the shop its probably quite a bit more than most people would do, and sounds nice. All this can be done relatively cheap - ie lower guage wire, average speakers, etc.
for the computer im currently using an old 17' monitor. however im considering doing a small built in between two wall studs. get a flatscreen lcd (they have really come down in price), mount it in there, and put a sheet of clear plexiglass around to keep out dust. whole project could probably be done in a day and for a couple 100 and would look pretty slick :).
As for the speakers, im not sure if im going to stick with the wall mounted ones, instead i might pick up some in-ceiling types to get back some wall space for storage.
As for boom boxes - i liked the dewalt, since its pretty rugged, and charges/runs off their batteries to which is nice. the downside is no cd player - which means no deal for me.
good luck!
canadian snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Any more 'live' Stones concerts lately? <EG>
Robatoy wrote:

I use a 40GB iPod and Altec Lansing self powered speakers with a sub woofer. It isn't the quality of my main stereo, but it's plenty good for my shop. I placed a block of wood over the sub port to tighten the bass. I paid $100 5 years ago. CompUSA now has them on sale for $49 and a Grand Opening of a CompUSA advertised them for $39 2 weeks ago. My CD changer just gathers dust now. <g>
Dave

yard sale 20 bucks detached speakers am fm cassette. cheep sealed unit keeps dust out ok. if it quits i will throw it out and find another yard sale. a nice reciever like you mention will have vents in it to allow heat to escape and will allow dust ti get in. IE it wont last too long. the cheep ones have no vents because they dont have enough power to build up heat. but they sound fine for the shop.
skeez
    --Yeah, I'm of the gotta-have-sounds tribe. I've been making do with generic boombox with tape/cd/FM for years. Latest addition: Woot had cordless rechargable headphones for sale for $39.- a pair the other day. Now I'll be able to keep the beat when the power tools are turned on.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Bummed to be living in the
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Golden Age of Bullshit...

Yep, got radiant heat too. Full time out there starting 1-3-06

So I heard, congratulations on the big change.

snip shop audio stuff....

I had a series of boom boxes which all died sawdusty deaths. now I have an ipod. I have the earbuds tucked into the foam inserts of a cheap set of hearing protectors, which seems to improve the sound quality a bit, and the cables routed underneath my shirt, which seems to be enough to keep them from getting snagged on stuff. the ipod mini is small enough to not be too bulky in my pocket, but today I'd probably get a nano.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

The Nano works great! The days just flew along, working in the shop.
Then I had to go back to work. At work.
Patriarch