Another restored lathe (wood, this time)

Woodchucker did a beautiful job with his restoration of that 1940 South Bend metalworking lathe he just posted about. His post prompted me to offer another lathe restoration, albeit a much more modest effort than his.
Along with a friend, I purchased last August a battered old 70's-era Craftsman wood lathe, to be a starter lathe to get us going in woodturning. It hadn't been treated kindly over its lifetime and we got it cheap. It took me a while to do anything about it, but within the last couple months I built a bench for it and completely restored the lathe with new ball bearings for the headstock and the motor and a whole lot of other work to clean and refurbish it and paint it up. Because it was going to be just a starter lathe I tried not to spend too much on it, since I wouldn't get back any investment when I later sold it and replaced it with a better one. I claim, not quite truthfully, that I spent more on rattle-cans of paint than anything else.
Here's a link to a short Photobucket slide show: http://bit.ly/1kMypuu
Tom
On 8/3/2014 3:09 PM, tdacon wrote:

Nice job. we being a throw away society forget that there is value in restoration..
Looks better than the ones with black crinkle finish..
--
Jeff

"woodchucker" wrote in message

--
Jeff

Jeff, you ought to post that South Bend restoration over in
On Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:09:46 PM UTC-5, tdacon wrote:

re modest effort than his.
Another excellent job. ^5 Tom.
When either you or Jeff are ready for another restoration, I have a 1954 (I think) Craftsman shaper to give to you, free. I don't want or need it, a s I have an older Rockwell, that I use. Both shapers run well, also. Ma ybe somehow, some place, some time, we can make arrangements for either of you to take possession of it, if you're interested.
Sonny
"Sonny" wrote in message

Thanks for the offer, Sonny. We actually had a shaper, quite a while ago, but used it so rarely that we sold it.
Tom
On 8/3/2014 4:22 PM, Sonny wrote:

Thanks Sonny, but I think you are in the midwest, and I am on the east coast...
No plans for a trip right now. I am back to work and have no plans for vacation after being out of work for 6 months.
--
Jeff

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 3:42:49 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

Well, you can think on it.
I'm in Louisiana and it's not uncommon that I make 2 trips to N.C. (Statesville & Raleigh areas), each year, sometimes Hilton Head, or even Myrtle Beach.
There are tentative plans to go to D.C., in late October, to visit & watch my nephew run in the Marine Marathon (Oct. 26th).
Sonny
On Sun, 3 Aug 2014 12:09:46 -0700, "tdacon"

I had one of those when I was in high school. I let my brother take it when I went to college and it came back missing several key pieces (like the foot and tail). I looked for parts but coming up short, I finally trashed the rest when I retired (the first time) and moved about seven years ago.