Another Nail Gun Incident

accepted as true. I wasn't aware of the last two updates, but it's interesting any way you look at it. But ... it's not exactly relevant, IMO.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

I do, yes as the safety had to have been removed from the nail gun. Unless it was pressed against the skull and the trigger pulled, it should not have fired the nail. But then, any tool in the hands of the right dummy is unsafe, regardless of the safety devices installed. And where did you get the "100+> mph 1-3" deep into wood ..." bit? It's nonsense and makes as much sense as removing or toying with safety designs provided with the guns.

Reply to
Twayne

Agreed. I wasn't aware they could fire by simply holding the trigger constantly and lettinig the safety tip do the firing. On mine and any I've ever seen, if you hold the trigger, it shoots the nail but won't shoot another one until the safety has been reset and the trigger released and repulled. But then the age/design/brand of the nail gun wasn't mentioned either, along with any details on how one would get a gun at that angle and still fire it. But I'm sure anything is possible.

Reply to
Twayne

Who makes such a gun; any idea?

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 18:47:00 -0500, "Twayne"

??? Everybody makes such a nail gun. It's a common feature of many nail guns and is a practice used by almost every contractor especially in the framing industry.

Reply to
Dave

They'll use a hot dog to test it.

Reply to
willshak

No, I think they should use Steve Baker to test it. After all he is the end all answer to all unsolved mysteries.

Reply to
Leon

SSSHHHHHH!!!!

If this gets out, no matter how stupid the guy is, the Government will get involved. Regulators will regulate. Legislation will follow.

Your run of the mill trim nailer will cost $4,800; and you will have to be trained and licensed to use it!

RonB

Reply to
RonB

nope, a cantelope. more like a head. LOL!

Reply to
Steve Barker

and hopefully when they fill out the forms, they will spell my name correctly. Thanks for playing!

Reply to
Steve Barker

Or they're trying to lay down sheathing in as little time as possible. Mea culpa...

Reply to
Father Haskell

;~)

Reply to
Leon

Some believe that their nail guns have a special type of velocity that only penetrates wood and can't fly further than the length of the nail, in air, too.

Let's see who has the details and where they get them from.

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:51:31 -0500, tiredofspam wrote: Soft lead bullets and hard steel nails behave differently - and require different amounts of force to penetrate bone. He might just have been a REAL clumsy amateur carpenter too.. Trying to nail down throug top sill into stud, and missed . Or nailing into roof structure, and bringing nailer down, accidentally fired the darn thing without being anywhere close to any wood to hold the nail. How it happened isn't clear. What DOES appear to be sure is it DID.

But then there is still a small but sizeable group of Americans who still don'r believe man has walked on the moon - - - - - . Or that their President is an American - or that their president is NOT a Muslim.

Damn, there I got politics into the thread - now it should continue on for another 3 weeks or so!!!

Reply to
Josepi

Facebook proves it!

Finally, CTV does have fact checkers. Unless they're getting desperate for new stories, someone should have looked into the validity of the story.

Reply to
Josepi

Just hold down the trigger and one safety device is already bypassed.

Like Dave said....everybody.

Reply to
Josepi

The electrical tape holding the tip sleeve back wasn't mentioned either. I would say details were withheld by the nailhead guy.

Reply to
Josepi

Is the hotdog the victim of the nail or the operator?

They'll use a hot dog to test it.

Reply to
Josepi

If you have used one, it is quite easy. You hold the safety sleeve against the wood and fire. The nail misses the edge of the intended wood and flies through the air. Reach up over the edge of the sheeting from below and fire it back at yourself. It usually goes into the wood and you don't have to climb on the roof.

I do, yes as the safety had to have been removed from the nail gun. Unless it was pressed against the skull and the trigger pulled, it should not have fired the nail. But then, any tool in the hands of the right dummy is unsafe, regardless of the safety devices installed. And where did you get the "100+> mph 1-3" deep into wood ..." bit? It's nonsense and makes as much sense as removing or toying with safety designs provided with the guns.

Reply to
Josepi

I believe it was someone claiming a nail gun could kill a man from a half mile.

...and it's still bullshit.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I would doubt if it could happen if in excess of maybe 20'.

Reply to
Leon