Another Nail Gun Incident

Page 1 of 3
Considering all the discussion about the SawStop and safety, one thing becomes perfect clear. No matter how safe a tool might be, there's always going to be someone who finds a way to make that tool dangerous.
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120121/nail-removed-from-us-man-brain-120121/20120121/?hub=TorontoNewHome

I dunno, Dave.... It isn't April 1 st yet, and somehow I am having a problem with this. What PSI was this guy running to get the nail to go that far through bone that deep into the head.... *sceptical me*
On 1/21/12 11:18 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Just a *very* soft skull. :-)
--
Froz...

In typed: ... .

Huh? I don't know what you picture, but that's a soft, thin-skull area where the nail supposedly hit. There was no "that far" through bone to go; I'm actually surprised it didn't go further, in fact.
IF it's a true story. This isn't the first time I've seen that story either. Since there isn't any kind of working newspaper URL along with it. Trying the ctv.ca results in " Sorry, we were unable to find the page you requested." right now. And a search on ctv.ca exposed no such story, so I agree this one goes inito the skeptical bin too.
HTH,
Twayne`

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-nail-in-brain-20120121,0,5467139.story
It references the AP.
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:26:23 -0500, "Twayne"

page. I remember seing it on the news on swo.ctv.ca a while back. (Kitchener Ontario CTV outlet - on the 11pm "national" news (as compared to "local".)
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:26:23 -0500, "Twayne"

Date: Saturday Jan. 21, 2012 8:07 AM ET
OAK LAWN, Ill
It is reported on all the major news sites - so I'd say it's pretty safe to say IT HAPPENED in Oak Lawn Ill. on Wednesday.?
Anyone but me wondering how the nail got into the back of his head. If he were working overhead, and the nail were pointed away it would not hit him. If pointed toward him it would come through the face, what did he have the gun behind his head pointed down????
On 1/21/2012 11:12 AM, Dave wrote:

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120121/nail-removed-from-us-man-brain-120121/20120121/?hub=TorontoNewHome
On 1/21/2012 12:43 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

ricochet, I would presume...
Come on, with enough force off a ricochet to pierce the skull.
They can't even get a bullet to ricochet to kill someone. They tested on MYTH BUSTERS and could not get enough force from a bullet to kill someone. They had to amp it up.
On 1/21/2012 1:48 PM, dpb wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:51:31 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

require different amounts of force to penetrate bone. He might just have been a REAL clumsy amateur carpenter too.. Trying to nail down throug top sill into stud, and missed . Or nailing into roof structure, and bringing nailer down, accidentally fired the darn thing without being anywhere close to any wood to hold the nail. How it happened isn't clear. What DOES appear to be sure is it DID.
But then there is still a small but sizeable group of Americans who still don'r believe man has walked on the moon - - - - - . Or that their President is an American - or that their president is NOT a Muslim.
Damn, there I got politics into the thread - now it should continue on for another 3 weeks or so!!!
On Jan 21, 5:05pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Naaaa... you need to be more subtle. I have learned from Hodgett.
Some believe that their nail guns have a special type of velocity that only penetrates wood and can't fly further than the length of the nail, in air, too.
Let's see who has the details and where they get them from.
--------------- wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:51:31 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote: Soft lead bullets and hard steel nails behave differently - and require different amounts of force to penetrate bone. He might just have been a REAL clumsy amateur carpenter too.. Trying to nail down throug top sill into stud, and missed . Or nailing into roof structure, and bringing nailer down, accidentally fired the darn thing without being anywhere close to any wood to hold the nail. How it happened isn't clear. What DOES appear to be sure is it DID.
But then there is still a small but sizeable group of Americans who still don'r believe man has walked on the moon - - - - - . Or that their President is an American - or that their president is NOT a Muslim.
Damn, there I got politics into the thread - now it should continue on for another 3 weeks or so!!!
On 1/23/12 5:09 PM, Josepi wrote:

I believe it was someone claiming a nail gun could kill a man from a half mile.
...and it's still bullshit.
--

-MIKE-

On 1/23/2012 5:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

On 1/23/12 6:52 PM, Leon wrote:

I would say much less than that.
--

-MIKE-

On 1/23/2012 7:25 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I always thought 2~3 feet would be the dangerous zone. With no barrel at all to channel the energy the nail pretty much starts decelerating and loosing direction the moment the it looses contact with the hammer.
I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one as a weapon.
No! it was claimed a battery operated tackgun could kill an elephant through a 1/2" plate steel barrier at over 1.5 km.
"Leon" wrote in message
On 1/23/2012 7:25 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I always thought 2~3 feet would be the dangerous zone. With no barrel at all to channel the energy the nail pretty much starts decelerating and loosing direction the moment the it looses contact with the hammer.
I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one as a weapon.

Some cartridge firing nail guns are capable of nail velocities of over 1000 fps. Pneumatic ones much less. Kerry
On 1/24/2012 11:10 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:

YABUT... if they don't go through a 3/4 plywood when you miss the joist at point blank, why would anyone believe they could penetrate ANYthing at any distance? I doubt you could get a nail to stick in a pumpkin at 20'.
--
Steve Barker