Another great tool company (Milwaukee) going down the drain

Page 1 of 2
To all,
Just got the following email from Milwaukee (I'm part of their Heavy Duty Club)... Well, it all depends on how this new acquisition will affect their operations but I hope it won't affect the quality of their producs...
Arrrgh, I bet in a few years from now, they will be all from the same company...
Wally
To all Milwaukee Heavy Duty Club Members:
We have great news to share!
Milwaukee Electric Tool is being acquired by Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd. (TTI), the world's fastest growing power tool manufacturer. Although you may not have heard about TTI, you're probably familiar with some of the brand name products owned by TTI, like Ryobi power tools, Homelite outdoor power equipment and Royal and Dirt Devil vacuum cleaners and floor care appliances.
Joining forces with TTI will allow us to share TTI's research and development facilities. That means we'll have even more engineering and manufacturing expertise to draw on in order to produce the innovative products that you've come to expect from Milwaukee.
We currently employ more than 2,000 people and have four manufacturing plants in Wisconsin, Mississippi and Arkansas, making Milwaukee the only power tool manufacturer with the majority of its tool production in the U.S. Our team will now join forces with TTI North America, which employs 1,800 people in Ohio and South Carolina.
Our products will continue to carry the familiar Milwaukee brand and you'll be able to buy the tools and accessories you need from your favorite retailer or distributor.
At Milwaukee, we're proud of our 80 years of dedicated service to professional power tool users. The product and service levels that you've come to expect from Milwaukee will be the same - if not better - in the years ahead. As we begin this next chapter, we thank you for your continued support and invite you to keep sending us ideas on how to make Milwaukee power tools and accessories even better.
We fully expect to become a stronger company as a result of this acquisition. This should translate into even more high-quality, innovative power tool and accessory systems from Milwaukee.
Thank you for owning and using Milwaukee Electric power tools.
Sincerely,
Dan Perry, President Milwaukee Electric Tool

Interestingly enough, Dan didn't say if they'll continue with mostly domestic tool production.

" Our team will now join forces with TTI North America, which employs 1,800 people in Ohio and South Carolina." is sufficiently vague, isn't it?
Betcha somewhere in the neighborhoood of 1,500 layoffs in the next 12 months.
djb
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 17:22:54 -0600, Dave Balderstone

I bet too there will be layoffs. When two companies combine, there will be redundancy with people jobs. I just hope the Milwaukee brand retains their high standards and quality. I have a Sawzall and corded Milwaukee drill that are very well built.
Hey Bush. Where are the WMDs? Where are you hiding your military service records?? And, where are all those jobs you promised (legal) Americans???
Phisherman wrote:

Better question, "Hey Bush, why is the SEC letting this kind of sale go through?"
--
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Hey! Don't pester the SEC - they're busy going after the /really/ dangerous subversives (like that uppity Stewart woman).
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

What they are really saying in the email is "China"!!! Translation on more competitive and innovation ("CEO Talk") Eliminate competition, manufacturing moved to China or Taiwan whichever gives them better deal, Innovative design to decrease material cost, increase profits and life expectancy of product.
Yeah - This is worth watching. I own some older Ryobi that is pretty decent equipment, but I don't think they are getting any better.
Another tool engineering department run by accoutants?
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

HAH! I bought Ryobi stuff because I thought they were decent, but I was thinking of then, before TTI (or whatever anon. company) bought them and all the others.
They are now laughing stock. Huge power. Poor quality.

Bingo! ***************************************************** the snappy ones are the best

Dear Wally:
Your header upsets me.....how do you know that this is a bad thing? Do you have a crystal ball and can see in the future? Why of cource not.....but that does'nt stop you from stating facts that you do not know anything about.
How about waiting and see....this could be a great thing. I am personally involved with Delta and I am very excited about their future with Black & Decker. What we do not need is people running around like chicken little saying the sky is falling! Mike from American Sycamore

It's NOT better. It's more reliable. It does not fall to pieces. It does not leak oil. It may well be faster, and quieter and more comfortable. It's also cheaper.
Not sure about handling.
But it's not _better_! <G>....mainly because it looks like somebody's expensive Falcon (Oz name?)
Japanese bikes are not better than British or Italian (or even US) ones either! <G> ***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Old Nick wrote:

USAnian also - early 60's unibody "compact": coupe, sedan, and station wagon models.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

This was, except for superficial sheetmetal, the predecessor of the first Mustang. THERE was a triumph of perception over reality. The myth/legend of the early Mustang continues to this day as a fun car. Not really all that specially engineered.
Patriarch
They shared little enough that they weren't even built on the same line, IIRC.
Of course, as one half of a team which performed at least forty valve jobs on VW Beetles, I have a bit different opinion of the "made in the Black Forest by elves" mythology, too.

I had to buy a '66 Falcon in a hurry as a back to school car since my normal driver had some serious problems. My garage was full of parts from my '70 mustang project and I ended up swapping lots of HD suspension parts and a 289 motor out of a Bronco into that Falcon (a six banger) so I wouldn't feel so embarassed. everything was literally a bolt in.
-BR

Ha! Compact! They are some of the biggest cars we have! <G>.....and they might well be the same body!
Mind you, early 60s there were some whopcackers in the US, IIRC. ***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 02:50:30 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Jaguar and Land Rover were spared the sheer horror that was BL. On paper they might have been, but on the shop floor they avoided nearly all of the disaster. If the "socialized automobile industry" experiment was a failure, it was at the BL / Rover plants where it failed most spectacularly, not at Jaguar.
All three suffered union troubles, from very stupid and pig-headed people running the unions. Perhaps Jaguar suffered the worst in this respect - they were always great cars, but some years of production made more lemons than a Greek citrus grove.
At times, Jaguar had problems - but they were never the unfathomable pit of bad design, pointless products and totally rubbish apologies for cars that went out wearing Austin and Morris badges.
--
Smert' spamionam

Mike,
We've seen raining before so don't blame Wally for coming up with that header.
The problem is simple: when smaller companies are swallowed by large organisations, often the business changes. It's the share holders that put a lot of pressure to get some money back over their investment. They don't care about what they're selling, they just want money back. Usually, companies making high end products in a very competitive market aren't as profitable as their competitors.
Let me tell you that chances are that this TTI company may take advantage of the very high esteem that Milwaukee is enjoying in the field right now to start pumping up some lesser quality products.
Just my 0.02.
Cyberben
On 7 Sep 2004 06:55:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@videotron.ca (BeniBoose) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

At last! Somebody else! ***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.