aniline dye and... grout

While (parts of) this seems straightforward, I'm asking anyway.

I have used an epoxy grout in the (tiny) spaces between my granite tiles. It came out not quite the shade I wanted. Bit light.

I bought some aniline dye. Can I use that to modify the color of the grout? Any special tips on application?

Thanx Renata

Reply to
Renata

test.

if you have a little of the grout left make a sample and try out the stain on it. my guess is it will do a good job adjusting the color of your grout, but might tend to bleed that color back out. is this a wet service countertop? a good sealer might help avoid bleeding.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Mon, Oct 15, 2007, 1:41pm snipped-for-privacy@norealbox.com (Renata) doth query: While (parts of) this seems straightforward, I'm asking anyway. I have used an epoxy grout in the (tiny) spaces between my granite tiles. It came out not quite the shade I wanted. Bit light. I bought some aniline dye. Can I use that to modify the color of the grout? Any special tips on application?

I have a priority list when I have questions like this.

  1. Read the label, and try it.
  2. Read the label, call the 1-800 number on itl, and see what they say.
  3. Ask my mother.
  4. Ask here.

I've never tried it, but seems like it would work. On the other hand, that was my thought when I tried kool-aid in a water cooler. LOL Actually, I think it might well work, but I don't know about the durability. I'd try it on some excess first. And, in truth, I never ask my mother. NOTE: Never, ever, put kool-aid in a water cooler.

J T

Work with me on this, Renata...

Epoxy grout is waterproof, yes? The dye needs to be in a liquid medium, yes?

So what happens when you put a liquid on something that is waterproof?

Reply to
dadiOH

Plastic Tupperware is waterproof too, but I learned years ago not to put Easter egg dyes in my wife's good Tupperware.

Reply to
Nova

Renata wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Oh! Lordy! I need new glasses! I read the subject line as "aniline dye and GOUT"! Having suffered (and I mean *SUFFERED*!) from this I was concerned that exposure might bring the disease on. I am greatly relieved (and concerned again about my poor eyes!).

An alcohol-based dye should work

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Yes, this was/is a potential problem. ;-) To add to that, it's also noted as "stain resistant".

But, a gal can always hope...

Thanx Renata

Reply to
Renata