Amount of lighting

Page 3 of 5
I know it is up to code, but it is not standard. The flexibility of romex in conduit is ridiculous. It just doesn't make the turns real well. Have plenty of lube on hand and a helper.
Romex is for installations outside conduit. It doesn't make sense to use this type of wire in a conduit.
On 12/1/2010 6:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

says...

If you're pulling it around corners in a chase then you should turn the chase into a conduit and use separate conductors. But it makes plenty of sense to use an EMT chase if the code requires that there be no exposed wiring in a particular area and you have a straight shot from where you need a fixture to a location where exposed wiring is OK--then you just run a straight piece of Romex through a chase to wherever you need the receptacle or switch or whatever.

J. Clarke wrote:

Well - holes in floor joists are condidered a chase, so it's not really safe to say that if you're pulling around corners in a chase you should use conduit. It's better to just stick with one kind of wiring as much as possible. If conduit proves to be the best solution for the most of the run, then go with it all the way on that circuit. In Bill's case - from the switchbox throughout the lighting run - or at least to a minimum number of J-boxes in which to switch over to NM, assuming the required protection for NM.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 07:54:13 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

When Dad, an electrician, had to do it he pulled the wire through the conduit before installing it - goes through the bends and LBs a lot easier that way. Using stranded wire involves junction boxes and joints when transitioning from "protected by conduit" to "not requiring protection" or "protected by existing structure"

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You are quite correct in that, but it's not a big deal to hang the boxes and tie in inside them. Using THHN offers many advantages over pulling NM through conduit, and makes the transition matter of little real value.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Wiremold is your friend - or condouit.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Wiremold Metal Raceway?
Bill

Wiremould surface mount raceway -half inch - PN03L08V

Pobrecito!
All together now guys... AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Go fishin' lately? http://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-inch-x-11-ft-fiberglass-wire-running-kit-65327.html
Small holes, covered by the fixture the romex feeds to.
OK, maybe it's a -teensy- bit harder to do than to talk about.
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Larry Jaques wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-inch-x-11-ft-fiberglass-wire-running-kit-65327.html
Aw.. now you haven't known me to be either a whiner, nor an impulse person. I absorbed lots of ideas in the last day or two and I'll give them there fair due. I appreciate the pushes in the right direction. I have to go up in the attic again....it's been too long..lol.
Bill
Larry Jaques wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-inch-x-11-ft-fiberglass-wire-running-kit-65327.html
The last few times I needed something like this, I used a couple coat hangers straightened-out and connected together end-to-end and electrical tape (to attach the romex to the end). Whatsa matter, you made a money? : )
Bill

If you use Lew's lighting density, you won't have money for the extra romex OR this fishing kit, will ya?
Here I am, slaving over ways to save you some money and this is what I get for my long and strenuous efforts? ;)
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Larry Jaques wrote:

I woke up this morning and realized my vision had been modified this week. Thank you for your efforts to help me get it right and save me money, and uh, uh, time! : ) The external wiremold cabling as has been suggested would probably simplify my installation considerably too!
Bill

Bill,, maybe you should run it directly over of the lovely bevel you created when installing thinner drywall on the bottom. </rimshot>
-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!
Larry Jaques wrote:

Thanks! I'm not even sure how it would look across my aging imitation stucco'd ceiling. BTW, at this point, no bevel is evident; it was nice of you to remember though. ;)
Here's the idea I came up with during lunch.
Think of the shop in thirds: Left End/ Middle / Right End(door).
I think I'd usually want light on the Left End, near the benches, anytime I was in the shop, and the rest too if I was using the TS or other power tools in the middle or doing anything near the door. Anything less could create a hazard (for the pedestrian).
So, I could use my new already installed "master light switch" to control all of the lighting and then think figure out how to add a new switch for the latter 2/3 of the lights. The latter switch would also be dependent, of course, on the master switch.
The "master light switch" is right next to the door, so it is just where one would want it.
I still have my existing two fluorescent fixtures, powered by a separate electrical panel, as back-up for some types of emergencies.
Task lighting, extra!
Bill

You're very welcome, sir. ;)

Uh, oh!

"Too complicated" is my first thought.

OK.
Right.
<shrug>
Always.
-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

EMT and surface boxes get the job done, and are not too spendy. Added plus - rodents can't chew those wires. I've come to a new appreciation of the "Chicago code" approach (EVERYTHING in conduit, which may or may not be _actual_ Chicago code) after finding some of the things mice have chewed over the years. Having been raised in a state where it's still legal (and certainly was very common) to simply staple romex (exposed) in accessory buildings (barns, garages, shops) that's a major shift in my thinking. Realizing that the fire department is mostly only able to keep fires from spreading to other buildings by the time they arrive has impacted that thought process.
Does mean I have a pile of plastic romex-only boxes I'm not going to use, probably, but there you go.

Ecnerwal wrote:

Your comments on EMT are well-taken. Sounds like a smart approach. It's time for me to draw a new model.
I have a small black "shop mole" I run into from time to time. I wondered what he was doing for food. I learned he evidentally ate a 5 pound bag of dog biscuits last winter, all through a hole no larger than a nickle near the bottom. My wife said she isn't going to feed him this year.
Bill

I had one of those. He got curious about a dry-charged battery I had on a shelf and sampled the clear liquid in the plastic bag next to it. Ruined his day.
you can always mount your wires externally to sheetrock. Depending on code you may require a conduit, or you may not.