Amount of lighting

That is trickier, as I understand it from a bachelor's point of view.

Sounds about right.

One would hope.

Indeed!

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I mean that you should put lights on the ceiling above the area the door opens to. Just Do It!

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Typical garage door needs a significant amount of clearance from the ceiling - there should be plenty of room for lights there - climb up a ladder and measure it. You can also mount them on the garage door tracks if you are capable of a little metalwork and pay attention to where you can attach stuff without mucking up door operation. Those would not be blocked by the door (but they will be its full width apart.) Fairly rare for most of us to have lights on and door open at same time, in practice (even if the weather is nice, the bugs fly into the lights, and garage-door-size screen doors are a significant hassle/project.)

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Yes, I will. It's just that getting electricity to that precise spot isn't as simple as it may seem on the Internet! : )

Unfortunately, I think even a good description of the mess involved would pale in comparison to the actual mess...

Maybe there is an easier way...I need to investigate further and see.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

You can always run some romex in metal conduit on the outside of the wall. It doesn't look all that sexy. But is is often done in shops. Not much mess with that approach. Just find the wood behind the drywall to attach the conduit. Conduit attaches easily to the outlet boxes. Lights and outlets can them be added to the outlet boxes.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Wiremold is your friend - or condouit.

Reply to
clare

Wiremold Metal Raceway?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My garshop has sets of lights on separate switches. Sometimes I'll be working somewhere else and leave a light on so I can see to get tools without having to walk all the way around to the front door and turn the lights on.

It's really nice when the weather is poor. I can cut through the garage rather than go around it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yabbut, Bill doesn't want to tear up any fresh drywall and had only planned on wiring half his shop ceiling to begin with! I'm hoping he reconsiders both options as absolutely necessary to his eventual happiness.

I'm not a fan of 4-lampers. Too much light in one area, more expensive to run.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Pobrecito!

All together now guys... AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

holes, covered by the fixture the romex feeds to.

OK, maybe it's a -teensy- bit harder to do than to talk about.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There ya go, painting the conduit white to match. It will hide up there fairly well. (Nah, I'd put it up behind the drywall.)

And branch the second light string from the first.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

> Small holes, covered by the fixture the romex feeds to.

Aw.. now you haven't known me to be either a whiner, nor an impulse person. I absorbed lots of ideas in the last day or two and I'll give them there fair due. I appreciate the pushes in the right direction. I have to go up in the attic again....it's been too long..lol.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

> Small holes, covered by the fixture the romex feeds to.

The last few times I needed something like this, I used a couple coat hangers straightened-out and connected together end-to-end and electrical tape (to attach the romex to the end). Whatsa matter, you made a money? : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yeah, the lights you suggested today--above the garage door, will require a separate switch, as well as half of the others new ones (the way I see it). I'm not afraid of cutting drywall. I'm just not going to cut it in haste. The more I think about it, the more I think a little cleverness in using my 1 new lighting cable that I have could go a long way on this... Maybe the switch that it's on will become a "master" switch. Unfortunately, my new insulation in the walls makes adding new wall switches a "pain".

This just reinforces the notion that learning processes like this are circular in nature.

I just happen to have 3 fluorescent fixtures on short chains (4100K bulbs, I believe). One of them is portable. In the meantime I may experiment with different bulbs and see what I can learn about light density.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

>>> Small holes, covered by the fixture the romex feeds to.

If you use Lew's lighting density, you won't have money for the extra romex OR this fishing kit, will ya?

Here I am, slaving over ways to save you some money and this is what I get for my long and strenuous efforts? ;)

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not with a shiny new fishing kit, it doesn't.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout?

Yeah, most are.

Zipcord and male connectors will make the others that way in a jiffy.

Goodonya, mate.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

EMT and surface boxes get the job done, and are not too spendy. Added plus - rodents can't chew those wires. I've come to a new appreciation of the "Chicago code" approach (EVERYTHING in conduit, which may or may not be _actual_ Chicago code) after finding some of the things mice have chewed over the years. Having been raised in a state where it's still legal (and certainly was very common) to simply staple romex (exposed) in accessory buildings (barns, garages, shops) that's a major shift in my thinking. Realizing that the fire department is mostly only able to keep fires from spreading to other buildings by the time they arrive has impacted that thought process.

Does mean I have a pile of plastic romex-only boxes I'm not going to use, probably, but there you go.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I woke up this morning and realized my vision had been modified this week. Thank you for your efforts to help me get it right and save me money, and uh, uh, time! : ) The external wiremold cabling as has been suggested would probably simplify my installation considerably too!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Your comments on EMT are well-taken. Sounds like a smart approach. It's time for me to draw a new model.

I have a small black "shop mole" I run into from time to time. I wondered what he was doing for food. I learned he evidentally ate a 5 pound bag of dog biscuits last winter, all through a hole no larger than a nickle near the bottom. My wife said she isn't going to feed him this year.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill,, maybe you should run it directly over of the lovely bevel you created when installing thinner drywall on the bottom.

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Reply to
Larry Jaques