Amazon Credit Card

Page 1 of 2
Everybody probably already knows this but, you can get an Amazon credit card (really Bank One) and they will give a $30 credit. There is no lower limit on what you can spend it just has to be at least the $30 credit. I did it and will probably never use the card again. How does a company make money doing this?
Steve
The truth is that the average credit card debt per American household is about $8,000 with an average interest rate of about 18%. This amounts to $1440 in interest per year. I would guess that most of the people who bother to get the card actually will use it. Even if their interest rate is only 10%, that means they only have to have an average annual balance of $300 for one year to make up for the initial credit. Personally, having hits on your credit report for these types of things is not really a good idea, so I would never get a card like this unless I planned to use it. That's why I only have one credit card and it is locked in my file cabinet and only used in extraordinary cases.

You watched Frontline this week dincha?
And, to top off the great offers, the banks can raise rates by any amount at any time for any reason with just 15 days notice.
____

rate is

good
cabinet
Who cares, just zero balance the thing every month and the can raise the rates to 90% and it still won't cost you a dime.

You know that, I know that, practically everyone *knows* that - but few actually live by that rule. Jeez, if $8000 is the _average_ credit card balance of the American family just think about those who float much higher than that who pull up the zero or just a few hundred balance accounts to create that average.
____

something like 20% pay off each month.
Not to mention that if you pay off your balance each month for a long enough period of time, you'll become a non-welcome customer.
Folks who think that by paying on time, never keeping a balance, etc. makes them "good"customers to the credit card issuers have got it completely backwards.
Ironically, they're the worst customers.
John Emmons
wrote:

the

Charles Spitzer wrote:

Believe it or not you're a "deadbeat." They want more than just the fee.
"But other consumers, like actor and author Ben Stein, use plastic purely for convenience. While it would appear that Stein -- who says he charges a small fortune every month on his credit cards -- is the ideal customer, in reality, he is what some in the industry call a "deadbeat." That's because he pays his balance in full every month."
Full article. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/credit/etc/synopsis.html
I used to be a deadbeat too until the layoff in 2001. Things are better now and I hope to be a deadbeat again in a few months. ;-)
-- Mark
However, you can often negotiate with the vendor to get a discount for CASH, so saving 3-5% out of YOUR loan is worth it for the convenience??
John
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:32:11 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

This is complete BS. Credit card companies make money every time you use that card regardless of how quickly you pay it off. I use my credit cards for just about everything and zero balance them every month for the past 20 years and I still get flooded with new applications and phone calls for new ones to this day. Not exactly what would happen to a non-welcome customer.

"John Emmons" < snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
The only thing that's complete BS is your assumption that your personal experience is the standard.
John Emmons
wrote:

raise
John Emmons wrote:

His experience may not be the standard, but it's the same as mine :-).
--
Homo sapiens is a goal, not a description.

Steve xxx asks:

On your "probably" and the fact that probably 90% of people who get such cards go ahead and use them.
Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken
On 01 Dec 2004 15:25:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) spake the words:

Recently, I was offered a Bank of America business card. The annual service fee was only $100. Needles ta slay, I turned it down.
I tore up another credit card offer last week. Their interest rate was 28.94% ! When I was growing up, I took a Business Law course in high school. Back then, 28.94% interest was called "usury" and the bank would have been keel hauled for it. I wonder if a certain group of old-line Sicilians runs the CC companies now.
I keep one CC tied to my bank account for general purposes and one for the business. The rest of my cards were cut up by me years ago and I don't miss any of that interest payment crap at all.
------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online -------------------------------------------------------------
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

No ... they're in Congress.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Actually, you can blame the Supreme Court and the former Govener of South Dakota for letting loose the reins on credit card interest rates. There was an interesting program on this a couple of days ago on PBS (maybe "Frontline"?).
Supreme Court ruled that the usury laws of the state where the person making the credit decision was located ruled. So if an Ohio employee of a New York bank makes the decision to grant credit to a customer in California, Ohio law rules. Then SoDak's govenor, in exchange for the promise of jobs from Citibank and other big banks, led the charge to repeal SoDak's usury laws that capped interest rates on credit cards. Banks moved their credit card ops to SoDak and other states soon followed in repealing usury laws.
Tim

Excellent show. Frontline is on my list of shows that I often arrange my schedule around or tape.

Yeah and at the end he said that although the increase in S. Dakota's economy was a great step forward, he felt uneasy with the realization that he helped release the beast on consumers who are least likely able to afford the tactics.
BTW, did anyone believe the head of the Comptroller of the Currency vs. the SF district attorney concerning Providian? Or that guy who's the head of the lobby organization for the credit card industry? He certainly looked uncomfortable with the line of questions.
____

Same governor who later killed a motorcycle rider after blowing a stop sign. I believe he was sentenced to 6 months probation. Courts decided he was on "government business" so the victim's family now has to sue the state to try and recover their loss. In that program, and it was "Frontline" he says he doesn't regret selling his soul to the Citibank, afterall, it brought some jobs to South Dakota. Not to mention it helped him get elected to Congress after he left the governor's mansion.
Nice guy.
John Emmons

was
making
York
card
Steve wrote:>Everybody probably already knows this but, you can get an Amazon

I dunno. Are you on the Federal do not call list, and did you read the fine print? Tom
Work at your leisure!