Alternative to Minwax Accents?

Hi, I've got a little project built up that I was planning to stain using Minwax's midnight blue accent stain--I chose it off their website and thought it would look great. Well, I tried a couple of local hardware stores with no luck. Called Minwax this morning and was told they've cancelled that product line. Does anyone know of a good alternative to get a similar finish?
Thanks, Dan
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:07:54 -0700, "Daniel Grieves"

go to an art supply store. buy a tube of artist's oil paint. they'll have a wide range of blues to chose from. buy a can of turpentine. the art supply store will carry higher quality turps than the hardware store does. put some turps in a wide mouth glass jar like a peanut butter jar. add color until it stains the wood the color you need. stain your project. let it dry a week or so before moving on to the next finishing step.
IMHO any brand would be better. General Finishes makes a couple of different stain finishes that may fit the bill. One is General Finishes Country Colors and the other is General Finishes Kids Colors. The Country Colors offers Heritage Blue, Wedgwood Blue, and Navy Blue. Kids colors offers Royal Blue.

TransTint dyes work in many solutions and may give you what you're after.
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:37:44 GMT, "Leon"

Thanks for the ideas; I will keep them in mind. In the end, my wife spoke (it is her birthday present, after all) and requested a natural finish. You can see a picture of it after the 1st coat of Tung Oil at:
http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/dpgrieves/lst?.dir=/Shared+Photos&.view Obviously a beginner project with plenty of beginner mistakes but if I waited to post a picture until I'd built the perfect piece then it would be a long wait. Here's a quick summary of the lessons I learned from this project:
- When you're a beginner, start by building projects from someone else's plans; - Follow those directions exactly; don't try to get cute; - If the size of piece B depends on the size of piece A, then wait to cut piece B until you've cut and measured piece A; - A well-thought-out jig can really make some operations much more accurate and safe. - Ain't no shame in using nails (for a beginner, anyway)
Dan
Would like to add to this, read entire plan adequately so you understand what the steps are accomplishing and why they are ordered the way thet are. My work is mostly without plans just final dimensions. Whaen I started panels with roudedover frames it took a while to realize the slot for the panel needs to be done prior to roundover as the bit needs something to guide it. I believe the only ones not making mistakes are the ones not doing anything.
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:53:27 -0700, "Daniel Grieves"