Alternative to Minwax Accents?

Hi, I've got a little project built up that I was planning to stain using Minwax's midnight blue accent stain--I chose it off their website and thought it would look great. Well, I tried a couple of local hardware stores with no luck. Called Minwax this morning and was told they've cancelled that product line. Does anyone know of a good alternative to get a similar finish?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Daniel Grieves

go to an art supply store. buy a tube of artist's oil paint. they'll have a wide range of blues to chose from. buy a can of turpentine. the art supply store will carry higher quality turps than the hardware store does. put some turps in a wide mouth glass jar like a peanut butter jar. add color until it stains the wood the color you need. stain your project. let it dry a week or so before moving on to the next finishing step.

Reply to
bridger

IMHO any brand would be better. General Finishes makes a couple of different stain finishes that may fit the bill. One is General Finishes Country Colors and the other is General Finishes Kids Colors. The Country Colors offers Heritage Blue, Wedgwood Blue, and Navy Blue. Kids colors offers Royal Blue.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
nospambob

Thanks for the ideas; I will keep them in mind. In the end, my wife spoke (it is her birthday present, after all) and requested a natural finish. You can see a picture of it after the 1st coat of Tung Oil at:

a beginner project with plenty of beginner mistakes but if I waited to post a picture until I'd built the perfect piece then it would be a long wait. Here's a quick summary of the lessons I learned from this project:

- When you're a beginner, start by building projects from someone else's plans;

- Follow those directions exactly; don't try to get cute;

- If the size of piece B depends on the size of piece A, then wait to cut piece B until you've cut and measured piece A;

- A well-thought-out jig can really make some operations much more accurate and safe.

- Ain't no shame in using nails (for a beginner, anyway)

Dan

Reply to
Daniel Grieves

Reply to