Almost had a fire in the shop last night

My normal shop heater is a blue flame 15KBTU propane heater. But the damn Home Depot bought regulater fritzed out yesterday when I needed to warm the place up to pad on some shellac for a nearly complete project.

SO I pack a small space electrical heater out there, plug it in and leave it on for a couple hours to warm the place up a bit. Go out, pad on my shellac and am standing near the heater. Remembering I need to clean the back screen off I discover that it is removable.

This job finished up in a couple of minutes, I put it all back together, and smell a bit smoke. Figure it is the dust that always gets onto elements when you clean an electric heater. BUT NO, I happen to stand around thinking a bit longer and bend down and see the plug-in that sits on my table saw cabinet is curing little wisps of smoke.

So I quickly kill the switch next to the outlet, unpluf the cord to the wall and pull the cover off the outlet there. A bit of sawdust on the bottom, but it was likely not enought to burn and continue a fire. But I see the guy I had bought the saw from, never tighed the screws that the wire touched! The hot line copper was black from charring, the plastic and paper back a ways about 3" were gone now.

$20 at the bord and I have a new set of 20 amp switches, and plugs to replace the whole set with!

Alan

Reply to
arw01

Count yourself lucky you were there and it didn't get out of hand!

picture:

was busy, and I'm knackered, still got a job, for now.... In the cold light of day I've been to my office and to several other parts of the complex, the main research cleanrooms are gone and my office building is likely to be condemmed.

Niel.

Reply to
Badger