alllllllright, wait a dang sec. Using oil with a hacksaw?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

I can't count the number of times I've not had a camera around to prove that I've done something a bit unusual or stupid.
I'm sure the same applies to just about everyone.
Shrug...
You either believe me or you don't.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:35:48 -0800 (PST), the infamous "Thomas G.

Oil with a hacksaw? Where's he trying to PUT it? <gasp!>
-- This episode raises disturbing questions about scientific standards, at least in highly political areas such as global warming. Still, it's remarkable to see how quickly corrective information can now spread. After years of ignored freedom-of-information requests and stonewalling, all it took was disclosure to change the debate. Even the most influential scientists must prove their case in the court of public opinion—a court that, thanks to the Web, is one where eventually all views get a hearing. --Gordon Crovitz, WSJ 12/9/09
Add pictures here
βœ–

IMHO the lube is going to cut down on friction between the side of the blade and the material being cut. When first starting the cut you probably will not notice any appreciable difference when using a lubricant.
Will the lube keep the blade sharp? No, probably not but it will probably aid in keeping the teeth clean and that will in turn give the effect of the blade staying sharp longer.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You are machining the metal. A lot of metalworking machines spray oil or an oil/water mixture onto the cutting tool during machining. Oiling the blade is a simplified version of that with the hacksaw.
With that said, I'll admit I seldom use oil unless I am cutting a very large or thick piece of stock. Then it does seem to speed up and smoot the process.
RonB
Add pictures here
βœ–

Same principle as using wet sandpaper. It carries the "swarf" off and keeps the gullets open.
-Zz
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Metal cutting tools such as lathes, bandsaws etc. have cutting fluid circulating systems. Metalworking, woodworking, two separate worlds.
Ldb
Add pictures here
βœ–
LdB wrote:

Wood cutting benefits from oil too. The trouble is that the oil soaks into the wood and can't be cleaned off, so there's a downside that outweighs the benefits.
FWIW, Bosch used to sell a blade oiler for their jigsaws, intended for metal cutting.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Light? You want Light and Oil?
I use both when cutting and drilling and they make the work go better and the cut straight(er).
Try it, you'll like it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Waxing the blade works, too. Doesn't make as much mess. Candles or sticks of canning wax won't leak all over your toolbox.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:35:48 -0800 (PST), "Thomas G. Marshall"

My guess is that as in a power hacksaw, the oil would help carry chips/shavings away from the blade and make a smoother cut with less chance of jamming?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–

MAC!!!!! Happy New Year!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thank you, sir... back at ya...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:12:25 -0800, the infamous mac davis

In power hacksaws, speed is an issue and oil becomes a coolant as well.
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have a lubricant used for bandsaws. I got it from a woodworking supply, but it's made for metal-cutting bandsaws.
Add pictures here
βœ–
They make POWER hacksaws?!?
Add pictures here
βœ–

You want electric of pneumatic?
The one we have at work has a 14" blade. I've seen much larger though. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/power-hacksaw
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have a 'blue max' - maybe different in spelling - hacksaw that is a 4" 'tall and about 24" long. Thick. I was in the process of making a wood saw - like a bow saw - from it - for really nasty wood.
I just got out my 1 man buck saw that cuts down a tree and used it. It has a standard looking hand saw and a post for the far end if needed.
Martin
On 11/17/2016 7:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–