Hacksaw blades

Anyone recommend a good make of general purpose hacksaw blade? I sawed through (or rather I tried to) some rusty bolts (maybe 5mm shank) at the weekend and by the time I was halfway through the first one, the cheapo no-name blade had no teeth left.... :o(

Reply to
Huge

Ah, you need to buy bi-metal or HSS (High Speed Steel) blades. Sounds like you have got low carbon steel blades, which are flexible, but not hard.

You pays your money and takes your pick. Good blades are more expensive. Screwfix has something for everyone.

Use 24TPI for general work.

32TPI for sawing thin stuff (more teeth engaged at once).

18TPI for sawing coarse stuff (cuts faster).

Reply to
Rumble

You can also get the best of both worlds with a version which has hard teeth, but a flexible blade.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'd always go for bimetal - HSS snap far too easily. They're OK if you've got a nice solid workpiece in a vice, but anywhere where things might move a tad and the just go PING. Bimetal outlast HSS every time for me.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Starrett, Bahco, Eclipse. As Rumble said, bi metal are good, hard but flexible.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As an engineering apprentice it was demonstrated to me that you could bend a good quality blade into a full circle and it wouldn't break.

As far as the OP goes, a hacksaw is not the best tool to use for rusty bolts. I would have used an angle grinder.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I did. But that meant dragging one to the other.

Reply to
Huge

S'what I ordered.

How do Screwfix know that I was thinking "Hmmm, haven't seen a Screwfix catalogue for a while" and put one in my post box?

Reply to
Huge

^^^^^^^^ Ordered some of those. Bimetal ones.

Reply to
Huge

Sandvik, bimetal ones for general use and a couple of all-hard for accuracy at the bench. It's worth having vearying tooth sizes too.

I used to swear by Eclipse bimetals, but they seem to have turned rubbish in recent years.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They'll do it again in two week's time. I'm thinking of employing a servant just to carry the Screwfix and Viking catalogues to the bin.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Damn.

Reply to
Huge

The order just arrived and there *isn't* a catalogue in it! That should cut down the UK's land-fill by at least 25,000 tonnes a year. I always ended up with half-a-dozen of the damn things.

Reply to
Huge

Unwanted CPC brochures seem to be my current bête noire.

Reply to
Frank Erskine