All the way from the good ol' USA

G'day all, A Dewalt scroll saw showed up today, it was only ordered 6 days ago from ToolKing. Excellent service and a good price, as far as prices go. Postage was interesting though ?? Toolking charged $288 dollars or there about while the next cheapest was well over the $400.00 mark. All of the machines bit at around $420 - $499. The really sad part ;( is I can't try the bloody thing out as the 240v -

110v transformer hasn't arrived yet. So until that gets here I have a great big yellow paper weight in the shed. ;)

Oh well, as Dad says "Patience my Son"

All the best John

Reply to
John B

I think I should be in the oversea freight business! I mailed a WRECer in Perth, AU some 18 inch pieces of American hardwoods a few years ago. Postage (USA) was $108!!!

Reply to
Woodhead

John B wrote in news:gbXKg.23303 $ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

The motor is 110 only? Thats too bad.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Mon, Sep 4, 2006, 2:59pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (John=A0B) doth look up and say: G'day all, A Dewalt scroll saw showed up today, it was only ordered 6 days ago from ToolKing. Excellent service and a good price, as far as prices go. Postage was interesting though ?? Toolking charged $288 dollars or there about while the next cheapest was well over the $400.00 mark.

Hiya John. That's one of those, "that's good", "that sucks", type of thing.

I get things from oversea upon occassion, GB, AU, SA, mostly. Usually books, but once a really neat, and old, pantograph.. I can have the patience of a rock when needed. And the difference in cost between postage and surface shipping gives me the patience. I'm not cheap, broke is usually more like it, and the differencc from mailing something at maybe $30+ taking maybe a week, and surface shipping at maybe $7-10 for the same item and taking two-three weeks up to maybe a month and a half, really gives me patience. All depends, but usual time for me has been two-three weeks. One outstanding exception was something shiped from GB. Damn thing was shipped out in a very timely fassion, stamps later confirmed that, but it didn't show up for about three months or more. Neither the seller, or myself, had a clue as to why, because the package arrived in pristine condition, with no extra cancellations or any other markings - not even any smudges, nothing, it looked like it had been wrapped, stamped, and just handed over to me. Strange. Even so, I'll still go for surface shipping over regular mail anytime.

JOAT My shop, my rules.

Reply to
J T

Look at the motor data plate, often by simply resetting the wires you can run the motor on the higher voltage if it is designed that way. It will also run more efficiently on the higher voltage.

It will run a little slower on 50 Hertz than on 60 Hertz but if that is an issue you might be able to adjust the speed with a pulley change.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Not on the DeWalt scrollsaw, you can't. That only applies to synchronous motors, the DW has a small "universal " motor that needs

115vac, and does not really care about the freq.

I bought one years ago in HD in Enfield, CT and it's been running happily for many hours (here in NZ) from a transformer.

Barry Lennox.

Reply to
Barry Lennox