Air Conditioned Shop?

Sure!
Years back, I did some shows there.
One of the memorable trips through Corning that can be shared in a public forum happened during a "Celebration Weekend".
The Dean's wife decided to have an "interpretive" theatre directly under the gym where I was hired to work. I can't remember who the band was, possibly the Ramones, Squeeze, Talking Heads, or The Bosstones. Anyhow... we had 60-70,000 watts on the PA, including Servodrive subwoofers, and a packed, enthusiastic house of maybe 5,000. The subwoofer cluster was directly over the "theatre", which I believe was normally a wrestling room. Throughout the day, I pointed out the bad location of the "theatre", and the conflicts that would surely arise to anyone who would listen. No one listens to the long hairs...
I then spent the entire 90 minute set arguing with the Dean, and then his porky wife, while trying to mix. We argued over the fact that it was now SNOWING chunks of suspended ceiling material on the theatre, the gel frames were falling out of the lights, and the actors couldn't be heard. Also, the perfectly rectangular room below us resonated severely ~ 40 Hz, so every time the band held certain notes, the room would become unbearable. He wanted to stop the show so the 10 people in the room (including his uber-po'd wife <G>) below could put on their 2-hour performance.
I also got a ridiculous speeding ticket in Alfred, and saw a drunken Sasquatch kick down all the stalls in a hillbilly bar.
Well next time your in town, stop and say Hi.
Allen

impressive.
There are two types of people in Mississippi, particularly Jackson and south. Those that admit they have roaches in their house, and those that lie about it.
Frank

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 07:10:43 -0500, Frank Boettcher

I've flown smaller radio control airplanes.
That thing freaked me out! <G>
B A R R Y wrote: <<<<<<<< SNIPPAGE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When I was in New Orleans once many many years ago, I saw some guys skateboarding down the sidewalk. As they got closer I saw that they weren't skateboarding at all. They were just riding the backs of cockroaches.
Wayne

Yep... if you're bending wood and don't have a steam chamber...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Stoutman wrote:
| To all of in an air-conditioned shop: YOU SUCK!!! | | Sweaty in High Point.
Going as fast as I can on a completely solar-powered air conditioner - perhaps by next summer or the summer after...
Wish me luck! (It's sweaty here in Iowa, too.)
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/StirlingProject.html

I have an evaporative cooler that works fairly well. (dry climate, El Paso) I like the exhaust effect; it blows the dust out the slightly opened o'head door. <G>
Max
Sun, Jul 8, 2007, 11:24am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (MorrisDovey) doth sayeth: Going as fast as I can on a completely solar-powered air conditioner - perhaps by next summer or the summer after...<snip>
Did a google. Seems like it could be done already. I didn't check the sites, but a lot of them gave that impressio.
Some years back found an article on a solar boiler, with parabolic mirrors. Ran down to a steam engine. One thing about a steam engine, ten don't need to e too huge o put ut a lot of power (torque). Solar boiler, steam engine, truck refrigeration uit, or air conditioner. Should work. Or plant a batch of trees so your shop is shaded.
J T wrote: | Sun, Jul 8, 2007, 11:24am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (Morris Dovey) | doth sayeth: | Going as fast as I can on a completely solar-powered air | conditioner - perhaps by next summer or the summer after...<snip> | | Did a google. Seems like it could be done already. I didn't | check the sites, but a lot of them gave that impressio. | | Some years back found an article on a solar boiler, with | parabolic mirrors. Ran down to a steam engine. One thing about a | steam engine, ten don't need to e too huge o put ut a lot of power | (torque). Solar boiler, steam engine, truck refrigeration uit, or | air conditioner. Should work. Or plant a batch of trees so your | shop is shaded.
Shade works well. So does designing a building to be cool.
My personal preference runs toward simplicity and a minimum of moving parts.
I'm planning to drive a fluidyne (a Stirling engine using water pistons) with heated air from a passive flat panel collector, then use the kinetic energy from that engine to drive a second fluidyne which (I'm hoping) will develop a hot side and a cold side. The cold side will be used to chill water to be circulated by third fluidyne pump. Total moving parts: 5 (the first three of which are water, and the last two are the "flappers" in a pair of check valves. None of it will be as warm as the boiling point of water.
It does seem as though someone should already have done exactly this, but I haven't been able to find a trace.
There has been a fair amount of development with high temperature mechanical systems, but such systems are inherently expensive. The solution I'm after doesn't add up to anything more than heated air causing columns of water to oscillate in tubing.
Only the thermally-driven engine (two out of the three fluidynes) is working at this point. We've scaled it up to use 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe - and are only getting about a two-inch "stroke" (should be between 15" and 18"), but that's a lot better than the initial 1/8" stroke it started with. Cooling power will depend on solar collector area, and the general rule of thumb there is about a kW per square meter of panel.
It probably won't be wonderfully efficient, but it should be considerably more efficient than a high temperature system. Also, by using flat panel collectors it should be able to operate in hazy and overcast weather. I'm not sure how the efficiency stacks up against a conventional air-conditioner - but since the sun is providing all the power needed, it shouldn't have /any/ operating cost.
Best of all, none of the parts can wear out.
Morris and Joat,
Have you looked into using an "absorption refrigeration" system to make your solar powered air conditioner? A small heat source makes them work quite well. Do you remember the old Servel refrigerators that ran on propane ? (also some newer camping refrigerators that are multi-powered use this principle) No moving mechanical parts and great efficiency. In fact, many of the 60-80 year old Servels are still in use.
Charley
(Morris Dovey)

Charley wrote: | Morris and Joat, | | Have you looked into using an "absorption refrigeration" system to | make your solar powered air conditioner? A small heat source makes | them work quite well. Do you remember the old Servel refrigerators | that ran on propane ? (also some newer camping refrigerators that | are multi-powered use this principle) No moving mechanical parts | and great efficiency. In fact, many of the 60-80 year old Servels | are still in use.
I've seen some of the older units used in camping trailers and done a bit of researching on the Internet. They work well for small volumes, but look considerably more expensive to produce than what I'm working on. They also appear to require significantly higher temperatures, which for solar applications means a concentrating collector (a parabolic trough or dish) whose performance would be poor if the skies were hazy or overcast. I like 'em, but they don't appear to offer a good solution to the whole house or shop cooling problem.
I had an interesting discussion this morning about providing solar heat for stock tanks (if you're not a farm person, these are galvanized watering troughs for livestock - a small tank holds something like 75 gallons). I'd been looking for a way to circulate hot air _downward_ from a solar heating panel to a heat exchange tube near the bottom of a stock tank and had been pricing photovoltaic panels and small blowers - and had just about decided that a workable combination was just too expensive. This morning I asked my compadre if he thought the solar pump we've been working on to pump water could be used to pump air...
He opined that as long as we oriented the check valves so that gravity would make them "normally closed", we could pump air as easily as we can pump water. It's one of those cases where I'd knocked myself out looking for a solution that was right under my nose all along...
This stuff /does/ keep life interesting!
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/StirlingProject.html
Could they not uses a solar panel to heat water with a recirculating pump powered by solar electric panel? I was thnking someone did this close to where I worked to power a pond pump. Small backyard pond that is. Well actually all they did was pump water. They did not need to warm the water. Maybe have a closed loop with "safe" antifreeze for the warming media. That might be more complicated than the dry air you are proposing. Health issues with livestock and their ability to tear up water troughs when there is no water or if it is frozen.

Jim Behning wrote: | Could they not uses a solar panel to heat water with a recirculating | pump powered by solar electric panel?
Yuppers. The problem is that this configuration is too expensive - a suitable DC motor for the blower and a photovoltaic panel capable of producing enough current is fairly spendy. My farming prospect nixed the use of anti-freeze; hence my decision to pump air.

I would agree with the farmer based on how destructive my horses can be around the water trough. Keep us posted on the project as it sounds interesting. I only suffer a few days where it does not get above freezing so your project is just interesting to me.
Morris Dovey wrote:
| Only the thermally-driven engine (two out of the three fluidynes) is | working at this point. We've scaled it up to use 4" schedule 40 PVC | pipe - and are only getting about a two-inch "stroke" (should be | between 15" and 18"), but that's a lot better than the initial 1/8" | stroke it started with.
I just posted a photo of this kluge to ABPW. When I get time, I'll add it to the web page at the link below.

Hmmmmm my shed has no A/C .... then again it has no heating either. During summer I open the doors , during winter I put a coat on.
Would love Airconditioning but it think some insulation wll be first on the list. That is, after I convince the MOFAW to allow some money out of the account ;-) __
Cheers The Happy Drunk