advice needed on a finishing goof

Hi, I stained my oak table top that I made. After the stain dried, I noticed a crossgrain stratch. Is it ok to sand out the scratch with a random orbital sander and restain, or would it be obvious that the area was touched up.

I'd like to get the scratch out, if the re-stain would blend in. If not, I can live with the scratch (the kids are going to "distress" the table over time anyway).

In case it's not obvious, I have stain left over from the same can that I did the first staining with.

Thanks in advance guys.

Reply to
pete rose

I've done things like that with good results. You will want to stain the area where sanded, but also feather it out a bit to help it blend. Go lightly with the stain as it is easier to put more on than to wipe it off once dried. You can use mineral spirits across the area to help it bland also. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Hey Pete, As with most answers......It depends. What stain did you originally use? If it was Min-wax stain note that the cans says "Wood Finish" instead of stain. The stain sort-of seals the wood after it dries. My experience is that If you sand a spot to remove a scratch, the absorption of the sanded spot will not be the same as the original wood. It may not be easy to match as the spot will take the stain differently. It can probably be done but takes care and patience.

If you used a different stain you may have more luck.....

John

Reply to
John Beckman

Oh man.. thank you.. I think it was a miniwax finish. I'll check the label. I don't think I want to take the chance now. I'll live with the slight scratch.

Reply to
pete rose