Adhesive coated, collated finish nails?

I thought you could buy finish nails that had the adhesive coating on them that melts from the friction of driving the nail and then rehardens. I'm having trouble finding them though...25d, 15g, 2.5" long. How about staples? Can you get them with adhesive too? I'm probably just being ridiculous, but it's for an overhead application and I want to be assured of long-term durability. Thanks. JP
Nails for nail guns have that feature. I don't know of loose nails having that feature. You would be laboring to drive them, as they would be setting each time you hammered.
On 10/28/2012 10:55 AM, JayPique wrote:

that melts from the friction of driving the nail and then rehardens. I'm having trouble finding them though...25d, 15g, 2.5" long. How about staples? Can you get them with adhesive too? I'm probably just being ridiculous, but it's for an overhead application and I want to be assured of long-term durability.

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 11:23:02 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

I know they made them a few years back, I've still got some 3" left over from a porch project.
And the adhesive doesn't set till the nail cools down. I guess if you waited 10 seconds or more between hammer hits you might have a problem, but not under normal use.
carrying a cross.
On 10/28/2012 11:57 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

You have 3" finish nails?
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:19:23 -0500, Leon wrote:

Oops, my brain must have skipped that word. No, mine are common nails, but I do see that another poster says he does have 3" finish nails.
carrying a cross.
On 10/29/2012 10:35 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Well to be fair I did not mean to sound as if there was no such thing. IIRC I has some when I was a kid back in the 60's. ;~) They were basically headless common nails and probably more commonly used before specialty nail guns became main stream.
I was just surprised to hear that some one still had a supply. ;~) Now I will go to HD and probably find countless boxes of 3" finish nails. LOL
On 10/29/2012 10:48 AM, Leon wrote:

"Finish" carpentry often requires SYP tubafours these days. ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

No, finish uses QS SPF tubatoos. Framing requires SPF tubafores. At least around here. ;)
-- No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows; in no way can the success of evil be made quicker or surer. --Theodore Roosevelt
replying to Larry Blanchard , Denny wrote:

Larry, would be nice if you'd leave your political views out of forums like this.There are plenty of contentious sites where people might care one way or another what you think about politics and religion.
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 1:44:04 PM UTC-6, Denny wrote:

Sheriff Denny:
You admonitions might be more appreciated if you policed someone that still participates here. It might also be more effective if you would target a thread a bit more current, not one 2 1/2 YEARS old.
Robert
On Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:55:39 AM UTC-4, JayPique wrote:

Finish nails were never cement coated. Cement coated nails come only as box nails and were a cheaper alternative to ring-shanked nails, usually used for sub-flooring. A good rule of thumb is to remember that nails are what hold a project together until the glue dries. A thin layer of phenolic glue or a bead of construction adhesive, whichever is appropriate to the application and the size of stock, along with a proper pattern of nailing for the job is the right procedure.
On 10/28/2012 9:55 AM, JayPique wrote:

that melts from the friction of driving the nail and then rehardens. I'm having trouble finding them though...25d, 15g, 2.5" long. How about staples? Can you get them with adhesive too? I'm probably just being ridiculous, but it's for an overhead application and I want to be assured of long-term durability.

Pretty common for nail gun "nails" that are glued together side by side to use that adhesive to hold them together and to glue them in the hole.
I would think that loose finish nails with this feature might be difficult to drive unless you can drive a finish nail with one blow in the exact direction you want. Remember that with each blow more of the nail adheres to the hole making each blow increasingly difficult.
ICBR