Account of a cut off finger -TS

Here is an account of bad practices with a tablesaw causing a guy to loose a good portion of a finger. Read his description of the pain involved in the healing process and the next time you decide to try a risky cut, think of this. Pictures included of course!

by looking at the name of the sight, you can guess what else is to be found there. Enjoy!

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

stop and pause before the next cut. Some think this type of thing is a gloat, but it truly serves as a reminder as to what a power tool can do. Yes, we can learn from other's mistakes. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'll second that. When I was 18, I ran my ring finger tip between the flywheel and starter gear of a boat motor because some dipshit friend of mine turned the key while I was looking at it. Hamburgered the end of it but 12 stiches later, the entire circumference and it was back on. Ever seen a doc yank your shattered nail out of the bed with a pair of pliers? Wild stuff. Luckily, it was numbed at that time :)

Yes, it hurts like a bitch for weeks. I didn't think a finger could swell that big either. You'd think the skin would split.

Reply to
Bruce

I've learned from mine.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Thats it, I'm never buying a table saw. My ex-girlfriend's dad also had his thumb pulled down into a spinning blade once and it was a fiasco just to get half a thumb re-built and partially useful... Granted, the table saw didn't jump up and bite him, he was gingerly trying to fetch an small scrap of wood that was sitting near the front of the blade, and thats when it bit him. His finger got hooked by the blade, and was forever changed.

Who among us HASN'T been seduced by a small, lovely piece of scrap wood that is vibrating 1 millimeter away from a chisel-studded carbide disc spinning at 4000 RPMs. Some men thrust their hand near the jaws of the dragon time and again, to retrieve chicklet sized scraps of pine... Ah the treasured wood, pine.

My bandsaw will eat whatever I push into its path, but it still doesn't scare me as much as tablesaws. I'll think about it some more, but I really am starting to appreciate the safety aspects of my bandsaw.

Reply to
David Binkowski

I whack at'em with a pushstick, or better, just wait for the blade to stop spinning, and hope they don't get sucked in and shot across the room before it does. (Or better, try to avoid a situation where there will be a small little cut-off bit sitting there ready to vibrate into the blade and get shot across the room...)

Reply to
Silvan