About handplane design

Page 2 of 2

I think that Samu and possibly others who contribute to this interesting discussion might find some value in looking at the following on my web site.
As far as deflection and front lip of mouth contact is concerned, I have found that when making extremely thin shavings to attack some tearout, that pressing down with the left hand on the frog of a Stanley 04 smoother (scraped sole http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingpoints/flatsole/scraping.htm ) makes a difference between planing and not planing at all.
Of course, also having the finest possible shaving aperture and a very fine set makes an enormous difference when planing gnarly grain.
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron