A woodwork newbie. What are the square pegs on woodworking tables for?

I haven't made anything out of wood since I was at school, but am now in the position to set up a small workshop in my garage and want to make a few things for around the house (simple furniture). I'll be posting a series of questions, separately so that people can respond to whichever ones they have input on - or answer all of them, that'll be cool too.
I picked up a couple of woodworking books, and one has plans for a making your own bench/table that includes a series of square peg holes along the front top surface of the table. What are these useful for?
I'm assuming clamping, but can't really see how that pans out.
Cheers.

Look at these for some ideas how these bench dogs, etc work. The square ones are the traditional shape but the round ones are easier to put in and have more variety of bench accessories to put in them.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pA645&cat=1,41637
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p1149&cat=1,41637

Do a search for 'bench dogs'.
wrote in message

Not to be confused with shop cats.
Holes along the front apron of a bench are for pegs to support the end of large boards being held in the face vice. You want to support the end on the opposite corner from the one being clamped.