a satisfying table tuning experience

Hi everyone:

First, I'm going to work on the baby crib project for my 5-month old son tomorrow, which entails many compound miter cuts for the splayed legs, angled arm support stiles, and angled back support slats. I wanted to ensure that my table saw was in perfect tune, so I decided to bring out the 'ol TS-Aligner Jr. and have at it. This was also, in part, inspired by the thread somewhere in here the last couple of days about what table saw alignment tool was the best.

At any rate, it has been almost a year since I tuned the table saw. In that time I've made a LOT of projects, and haven't really seen any sign that the saw was out of tune, but I've generally stuck to ninety degrees for the most part. I have tweaked the fence/blade parallelism a few times (btw. I have a right-tilt Unisaw with a Biesemeyer 50" fence). I'm delighted to report that the blade runout was still approx. 0.001", the blade/miter slot paralellism was approx. 0.001-0.002" and the fence was -0.003" out of parallel with the miter slot at the back (as intended). I also tuned up my miter gauges, both of which were dead on perfect (JDS Accumiter and Incra V-27, newly acquired). I also checked the blade for square to the table (it was, within 0.002"), and the fence for squareness to the table (a little worse here, at about 0.004").

Other than having to clean the table of some light rust (hadn't been in the shop for about 2.5 weeks), the whole operation took me about 20 minutes. And part of that was remembering how to calibrate the zero point with TS Aligner.

I'm still giddy about having a Unisaw :-) and now I REALLY see what the $1700 is for - not having to worry about the saw "moving" in use and over time.

Sigh.....

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Mark

Just say, it is like getting sprinkles on your Dairy Queen.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100