A Question of Physics 101

| Actually it depends on the mass of the plumb bobs. If massive | enough they would attract each other.

Just to add aggravation: the /strings/ will attract each other...

...and both the strings and the bobs will share a mutual attraction with every other object in (at least) /this/ universe.

Morris Dovey

If the 'strings' are mere physical props for something bigger, such as the imaginary line between two points, one would have to address the question: "why strings?" In an equation, one can force the issue that they are perfectly parallel and bend the universe around them to make it fit. Simply metaphysics, really. To me those strings are perfectly parallel and what is anybody going to do about it? Other than that, I bolt onto Rick M's black pepper theory... or as they say on an Eastern mountaintop in Nepal, and I translate loosely: "no need to sort mosquito turds by size."

Robatoy

| If the 'strings' are mere physical props for something bigger, such | as the imaginary line between two points, one would have to address | the question: "why strings?"

Indeed - or even "why plumb bobs?" or "why pepper?" ;-)

| In an equation, one can force the issue that they are perfectly | parallel and bend the universe around them to make it fit. Simply | metaphysics, really. To me those strings are perfectly parallel and | what is anybody going to do about it?

I'm willing to agree without reservation as soon as you post the equations that accounts for the effect of all other masses to which the strings and bobs are attracted. The equations will, of course, be different for each (string,bob) pair...

I'm not sure what anyone else is going to do about it, but I'm going to go have lunch. :-)

| Other than that, I bolt onto Rick M's black pepper theory... or as | they say on an Eastern mountaintop in Nepal, and I translate | loosely: "no need to sort mosquito turds by size."

...nor moonbeams by pitch.

Morris Dovey

snip

waiting with great anticipation for the Eastern Words of Wisdom...

Huh?

What about shapes or weight - or colors?

Oh.

Ah - so!

charlie b

Reply to