A Question of Physics 101

Page 4 of 4
GROVER wrote:
| Since I've been enjoying the topics and discussions of this news | group, and I see that there are many posters who are quite bright, I | decided to pose a question concerning the laws of physics to | stimulate the group's curiosity. | | The question is: If you hang two plumb bobs, say 50 feet apart are | the strings parallel?
Since you make it a physics question rather than a woodworking question, the answer is that two separate strings can never be parallel.
"The proof is left as an exercise for the student." :-)

If the 'strings' are mere physical props for something bigger, such as the imaginary line between two points, one would have to address the question: "why strings?" In an equation, one can force the issue that they are perfectly parallel and bend the universe around them to make it fit. Simply metaphysics, really. To me those strings are perfectly parallel and what is anybody going to do about it? Other than that, I bolt onto Rick M's black pepper theory... or as they say on an Eastern mountaintop in Nepal, and I translate loosely: "no need to sort mosquito turds by size."
Robatoy wrote:
| If the 'strings' are mere physical props for something bigger, such | as the imaginary line between two points, one would have to address | the question: "why strings?"
Indeed - or even "why plumb bobs?" or "why pepper?" ;-)
| In an equation, one can force the issue that they are perfectly | parallel and bend the universe around them to make it fit. Simply | metaphysics, really. To me those strings are perfectly parallel and | what is anybody going to do about it?
I'm willing to agree without reservation as soon as you post the equations that accounts for the effect of all other masses to which the strings and bobs are attracted. The equations will, of course, be different for each (string,bob) pair...
I'm not sure what anyone else is going to do about it, but I'm going to go have lunch. :-)
| Other than that, I bolt onto Rick M's black pepper theory... or as | they say on an Eastern mountaintop in Nepal, and I translate | loosely: "no need to sort mosquito turds by size."
...nor moonbeams by pitch.
Robatoy wrote:
snip

waiting with great anticipation for the Eastern Words of Wisdom...

Huh?
What about shapes or weight - or colors?
Oh.
Ah - so!
charlie b