A Question of Physics 101

Page 3 of 4
If a guy says something - out loud - and there's no woman around to hear what he said - is he still wrong?
Of the fifty or so women, ages maybe early 20s to mid 80s, all but three immediately said "Yes" and most added "of course". The three exceptions requested more info before anwering the question.
Surprisingly - or not - all but three of the 40 or 50 guys I asked, ages 20s to mid 80s, also said, without hesitation, "Yes" or "Sure". Two if the three exceptions said "I'll get back to you on that." Still waiting for their responses. The third guy's response was "WHAT!? He flew a Mosquito during WWII and then worked around jet air craft for another 30 years. Nice guy. Deaf as a post.
Now about those space ships approaching each other at the speed of light and both turn on their headlights - could either pilot/dirver see the on coming vehicle's lights?
There is no such thing as "matter". It's ALL different manifestations of energy. The Everything Is Everything gurus from the 60s were right.
Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
charlie b

I just had a vision of the alien guy from Mars wearing the Spartan helmet on the TV cartoon. ;~) Bugsbunny IIRC
Thanks for that one.

String Theory

Second question - How far apart are the values?

would attract each other.
But I believe that would only be quite near to a black hole.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:
| Actually it depends on the mass of the plumb bobs. If massive | enough they would attract each other.
Just to add aggravation: the /strings/ will attract each other...
...and both the strings and the bobs will share a mutual attraction with every other object in (at least) /this/ universe.

"parallel".
It is also somewhat site specific. There could easily be gravitational and/or magnetic anomalies that will affect their positions much more than the curvature of the earth.
So, the answer might be "pretty much".

Bill Clinton fan, aren't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-euclidian_geometry
Oh, you are making a pun on Clinton sounding like Euclid!

That was my initial reaction, but on reflection, the definition of parallel lines is not different in the three geometries, just the number of parallel lines.

CW wrote:

Parallel - each point on line A equidistant from its counterpart on Line B - in plane (as in two dimensions) geometry. In 3-D things get a bit trickier, double helix for example - pairs of points equidistant but the "lines" aren't straight. Euclidian and Non Euclidean geometry have different sets of Theoroms and Axioms. And when you want to play in "n" dimensions Analytical Geometry is pretty handy. You can describe a closed shape that has an infinite surface are and no volume and another that has infinite volume but no surface are. The mobius strip has either no outside surface or no inside surface. Besides, we don't live on a plane but rather more or less of a sphere - and we're basically stuck operating on or above the surface. Then there's Einstein's "deformed/curved space" idea that raises all kinds of hell with plane geometry.
charlie b

B.
:)

Fri, Apr 20, 2007, 10:46am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (GROVER) physics us with: The question is: If you hang two plumb bobs, say 50 feet apart are the strings parallel?
Maybe. Unless the wind is blowing.
However, you left out too many pertinent details to give an absolute answer: How long are the plumb bob strings? Are the strings the same length? What are the strings attached to? What type of knots were used? Were both strings tied with the same type of knot? Are both strings attached at the same level? Can you see both plumb bobs at the same time?
When you can provide answers to these questions, then you can receive a viable response to your original question. Unless more questions come up in the meantime that is. Next time properly research your questions, before you ask them.
JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe. - Bazooka Joe
On Apr 21, 1:51 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

model. Or not. Either way, plug in all the info, wind up the ol' 'puter out comes the answer and BOB is your uncle.
<...snipped...>

No, they have to be approximately 12,500 miles apart for that.

On Apr 21, 7:58 am, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Or one directly over the other.
On Apr 21, 7:58 am, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

??

I think we're picking fly shit out of the black pepper once again.
Plumb bobs in use are never parallel unless one is inside the other ... in which case they would be coaxial as well. In our imperfect world, they're often close enough to being parallel as not to cause us worry. That doesn't stop the pepper pickers however.
Go make some sawdust.

Technically - no.
For single story building construction - close enough ;-)
John