A little gloatin' for the day...

A trip to the local dump/recycling center produced a Campbell-Hausfeld "Extreme Duty" dual-tank 4 gallon compressor needing some valve work and what seems to be an older Sears Router Crafter spindle making contraption.
Also got 10 pounds of Kingsford charcoal and a 333MHz computer, but that's rather off-topic.
GTO(John)
On 08 Nov 2003 23:01:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) wrote:

Which one ya gonna burn first, John?! lol
You had a GOOD day! Just curious...how do you get in there? Do you hafta know someone?...or do they just let you wander around?
I used to do that as a kid...and always found something 'valuable'. Now I hafta go to garage sales...and pay real money. Got me a PC 14.4 with case and 2 batteries for $10 a couple of years ago.
BTW...I work on a lot of the 300-class computers. Tweaked up properly, they're still a nice, fast machine...relatively speaking.
Have fun.
Have a nice week...
Trent
(GTO69RA4) wrote:

i do video work on a 2ghz AMD machine with 1gb of PC2700 RAM, , ,believe me when I say I would NOT want to do that on a "300-class" computer. <s>
--
SwampBug
---------------------

LOL! Well, if I am gonna do only AMI word processing then my old 12mhz '286(AMD BTW) still writes to the screen faster than I can type!
--
SwampBug
---------------------

Now that we have so many different CPU'S still running out there...and so many different kinds of clients...that's something that can pretty much easily be done...finally.
At the beginning, you didn't have much choice. You were stuck gettin' a 286...or maybe a little bit earlier...so the mfg's had control of prices and selection. Now that we have everything available from a 8088 to a P4, we/I can build or collect a system to exactly meet the client's needs.
As I mentioned, I sell a lot to college students. The girls want a basic system...that can do Word, etc. and get them thru school. The guys want a P4...that can get them thru Quake! lol
Maybe that's a good analogy for tools, too. We were talking a while back about planes. At one point, a plane was pretty much in its own league. It was the only tool...or pretty much the only tool...that could do what it does.
Now we have many tools that can accomplish the same task. Some still want to use a plane, though...and that's good.
Anyway, it looks like John done good! He's already got a BUYER for that 'junk'! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
On 09 Nov 2003 04:32:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) wrote:

I sell a LOT of the Pentium 100 machine range, John I buy them dirt cheap, of course...and sell them cheap also. And I can usually make more profit on them than I can on a new system...because of the big boys' competition.
Put a NIC in them...and hook them up to a broadband connection...and they fly as fast as anything else...on the Internet. I advertise them as only browsing machines...which is all some people want...with a 2 gig or so hard drive.
I sell a lot of these to female college students. The guys, though...they just chuckle. They want the P4 game machine! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
On 09 Nov 2003 04:32:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) wrote:

I own 4 PCs, and use several more at work. For many typical users, older machines are great, and often FREE!
I still have a 6 or 7 year old 200 MHz Pentium MMX in the workshop. It's plenty for web surfing, Excel sheets, reading .pdf's, etc... or anything else I do in the shop.
I also have an older 233 MHz laptop that's dedicated to my GPS units. Works great and I won't cry very long if it's ever ripped off from a campground, and it's got nothing personal on it..
I wouldn't do CAD or video editing on these machines, but then again, I wouldn't tow a 27' camper with my Subaru, either. <G>
FWIW, the OP's dump find is exactly why I remove and smash hard disks when I dispose of an old machine. I have no idea what personal info could be recovered from some of my old machines.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Once a disk has such low capacity (relative to the standard of whenever "now" is) that it's just not worth spinning anymore, I saw it in half on my metal-cutting bandsaw. Fun. :)
It's open to the public. There are bins or dumpsters for recycling, scrap metal (where the compressor came from), a leaf pile, a trash compactor, and an area for usable goods. Sort of a free thrift shop.
CH's parts support burns me a little. The parts blowup lists the entire compressor and motor as one part. Looks like I'll have to track down some similar valves and a ring.
GTO(John)

Is that Sears router crafter going to be for sale any time soon?

Sure, you interested? I haven't cleaned it up yet. A little rusty and dusty. Basic unit.
GTO(John)

Ayup. What kind of price? As is condition is fine with me as I'm a firmly entrenched member of OWWM.