A different spin on Miter Gauges

I presently have a stock Delta with a homemade fence as most of you probably have. I also have a Incra 1000SE that I use 90% of the time, primarilly for quick 90drgree cuts because it is dead accurate. I am aslo thinking about an Osborne EB3.
But, the purpose of this post is to find a cheap miter gauge to build jigs on. Right now, I want to make a Finger/finger Joint jig. I have found the following:
1. Woodhaven 950 MiterMatic at $19.99 from Amazon 2. Incra MITERV27 Miter V27 Miter Gauge at $54.97 from Amazon 3. Clamping Miter Gauge at $44.95 from Woodcraft
And of course, there are all the stock ones that come with the saws.
Any ideas? Experiences?
Obviously, for 20 bucks, im not looking for a Porsche, but I do want one that will stay where it is locked and won't flex much.
Neil Larson wrote:

Why not make a small sled with dual runners? Given that you only need about 8" of travel, you probably don't even need a full deck on it. I'd probably go with an "L"-shaped fence nearest the operator (braced to ensure it's perpendicular to the table) and just a flat piece of ply/mdf/scrap on the far side to hold the runners at the appropriate width.
Chris
I cant recommend a cheap miter gauge but can recommend to "not" get the EB3 if you are looking for a miter gauge that stays where it is locked and won't flex much. It does not stay put and the adjustment bar flexes when extended to the 45 degree setting. Where have I seen the before??? ;~)
With that said, the Osborn has been marked way down to about $100 if you want CHEAP and only use it in the 90 degree setting.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I presently have a stock Delta with a homemade fence as most of you probably have. I also have a Incra 1000SE that I use 90% of the time, primarilly for quick 90drgree cuts because it is dead accurate. I am aslo thinking about an Osborne EB3.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>But, the purpose of this post is to find a cheap miter gauge to build jigs on. Right now, I want to make a Finger/finger Joint jig. I have found the following:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>1. Woodhaven 950 MiterMatic at $19.99 from Amazon</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>2. Incra MITERV27 Miter V27 Miter Gauge&nbsp; at $54.97 from Amazon</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>3. Clamping Miter Gauge at $44.95 from Woodcraft</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>And of course, there are all the stock ones that come with the saws.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Any ideas? Experiences? </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Obviously, for 20 bucks, im not looking for a Porsche, but I do want one that will stay where it is locked and won't flex much.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Leon,
Hartville Tools has the V27 on sale now for 59,99, but that includes the 24 inch extension kit and the flip stop. Page 20 of their Spring catalog, also on the web site. I'm fixin' to order one to replace my stock Jet gauge.
You might consider making a set of finger joint attachments to mount on a sled. With a pair of runners, it should always run true.
A final thought. I seem to recall one of the mags (FWW? PW?) giving a thumbs up to the Grizzly standard gauge as being pretty good and very cheap for what you got. Probably in an issue 2-3 years ago. HTH.
Regards, Roy

you are looking for a miter gauge that stays where it is locked and won't flex much. It does not stay put and the adjustment bar flexes when extended to the 45 degree setting. Where have I seen the before??? ;~)

have. I also have a Incra 1000SE that I use 90% of the time, primarilly for quick 90drgree cuts because it is dead accurate. I am aslo thinking about an Osborne EB3.

on. Right now, I want to make a Finger/finger Joint jig. I have found the following:

"Roy snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com>" <<put an 'RP' here to reply> wrote in message

I have the V27 with a shop made extension fence on my Delta contractor's saw. It does a great job. There is no slop in the slot, it is absolutely repeatable on angles. With a Johnson wax coat on the table, it almost feels like a sliding table attachment. It's a great but for $59 which is what I paid for it.
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:11:42 GMT, "Lowell Holmes"

Keep an eye on Amazon. I got the V27 for $49. a few weeks ago
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:48:42 -0500, "Neil Larson"

The V27 is good for the set angles on the protractor but not so good if you need something between the factory notches. The notches are every 5 degrees with a couple added for common angles. If you need to repeat 27 degrees, there is no pointer on the gauge. It's a very accurate gauge when set up properly.
Mike O.

I've never needed 27 degrees. I looked at the less expensive ones and the Incra was my choice and I'm happy with it. If I need some really odd angle, I cut it either on the band saw or by hand and then run it across the jointer or hand plane it. If you need to repeat an odd angle, it's easy to make a jig from plywood or masonite to set the angle on the miter gage.