A Cleaver Idea

Page 2 of 3
HeyBub wrote:

------------ "Somebody seems to have got the wrong idea about charitable donations - after they left a land mine in a charity donation box, forcing the evacuation of a mall in Colorado.
"The rectangular, olive-green box with the words 'Front Toward Enemy' raised the suspicions of Goodwill workers...
http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?Land_mine_generously_given_to_charity&in_article_idp8109&in_page_id=2
"pete" wrote:

Shades of "Green side up".
Lew
pete wrote:

Which direction is best, clockwise or counter clockwise? :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:57:44 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

What you do on the equator will probably invalidate your warranty.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Have had one for years ... got the idea in a magazine at least 15 years ago, maybe more. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post a link. Mine is a double, with holes in a plywood cover that mirrors the three dowels that hold the sandpaper/guide the ROS onto same.
A picture oughta be worth at least a couple of hundred words ... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

    :-)     j4
Rockler sells them.

*Haughty sniff*.. well.. *I* use Mirka Abranet sandpaper/screens so it is never an issue.
<G>
BTW.. once you get hooked (no pun intended) on Abranet, you will never use sand'paper' again. It costs a little more, but the results are superior and the stuff lasts a long time. I did a study, it is actually cheaper in the long run. A perfect mate to Festool sanders.
*Haughty sniff*.. well.. *I* use Mirka Abranet sandpaper/screens so it is never an issue.
<G>
BTW.. once you get hooked (no pun intended) on Abranet, you will never use sand'paper' again. It costs a little more, but the results are superior and the stuff lasts a long time. I did a study, it is actually cheaper in the long run. A perfect mate to Festool sanders.
I have been eyeing that stuff, does it require a special atachment pad? Are there a variety of grits? Works good on wood?

First of all, the Festool pads are perfect for Abranet. They stick like dog-snot to a screen door. (Shit to a blanket, whatever...)
The consistency in grit is second to none and my collection goes from 180 to 240 to 320 to 400 to 600. I think there are courser and finer grits than that, but I don't use them. In the 7 years I have been using that stuff, I have yet to see a screen clog up.... then again, I don't use that stuff on latex painted surfaces...it is not made for crap-removal. I would also not use my Festool sanders (3) for that kind of work anyway.
The dust-removal aspect of Abranet-on-Festool is simply unbelievable. (Although you're already indoctrinated.)
Now, when you ask me about the performance on wood, I suspect if the stuff is really splintery or full of resin, you might get some clogging. It works great on cherry, maple, walnut and hickory.
You won't believe the 'cut' you get from their 240... fast, clean and durable... simply nothing like it.
wrote in message

snip
Now, when you ask me about the performance on wood, I suspect if the stuff is really splintery or full of resin, you might get some clogging. It works great on cherry, maple, walnut and hickory.
You won't believe the 'cut' you get from their 240... fast, clean and durable... simply nothing like it.
Actually I was think about the use on coarse grained red oak, the wood I use 80% of the time. So you just go directly onto the Festool pad and get after it? I'll have to try some out.

Yup. Directly onto the Festool pad. I always keep two pads for each sander...a hard/flat one and a soft one and the Abranet always sticks.

When I 'have to' make holes, I use a 1/2" hole punch, like one you buy in a cheap kit from HF etc. The difference is, I stick mine in a drill press, and at run at slow speed.... about 5 sheets at the time. Works like a beauty, eh?

When I 'have to' make holes, I use a 1/2" hole punch, like one you buy in a cheap kit from HF etc. The difference is, I stick mine in a drill press, and at run at slow speed.... about 5 sheets at the time. Works like a beauty, eh?
I think a few missed the point here, the object is "not" to make holes in regular paper rather to align the holes on the paper to the holes on the sander pad. I have a friend that ownes a DeWalt finish sander and the sander kit provided a paper stamp to punch the holes in the paper in the correct locations for that sander.

My Bosch pad sander came with a widget (though of inferior plastic) to do the same.

Must be something rather recent with Bosch. My last 3727, about 3 years old, didn't have one.
Lew

R1297DK. It's the "PunchPlate" used to punch the 1/4 sheet.

So what do you use the Cleaver for?
On Jul 21, 1:55pm, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

What a cleaver might look like:
http://epguides.com/LeaveIttoBeaver/cast.jpg
On 7/20/2009 7:18 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

I thought you were going to tell us how to make a knife.
Don't you mean "clever"?
(How many others think Usenet is contributing to the decline and fall of basic spelling abilities?)