A bit OT but something most of us have in our shops.

I have not really noticed another new, country of origin, playing a major roll in things we buy for our shops but Vietnam is here and from what I see the quality is pretty good, maybe pretty darn good.

Ten or twelve years ago I was looking at larger stacked tool chests,

40+" wide and because they were north of a thousand dollars I built my own and it has served me very well.

Recently I have noticed HD selling Milwaukee stacked tool chests and I have to do the touchy feely thing every time I am in the store.

Anyway my son and his girlfriend are renovating the guest bathroom in his house and he has been borrowing tools, not a problem at all. BUT he has been collecting his own tools and so far their storage location is on the garage floor around his small 2 drawer tool box. His birthday is this week and my wife suggested getting him a nice tool so that he does not have to borrow one of mine and I thought that was a good idea but then I pictured yet more garage floor space being used up increasing the tripping hazard. His significant other has mention this and told him that she will not be happy if she trips and falls. ;~)

Soooo I decided a real tool chest was in order instead of another tool and the Milwaukee came into mind and that is what we got him.

In particular this is the one we got for him.

These two units weigh in at 300 lbs and I ended up moving the two boxed units two times, From the store to my garage and then to his garage, I was a little fearful about all the loading and unloading and the damage that might result.

He and I wrestled the bottom cabinet to the garage floor and began the opening ceremony. He showed me how to break the welds on the fiberglass reinforced straps, that hold all of the pieces of the carton together, very easily with his fingers. I had always used a pocket knife. So the straps come off and the top lifts off. We see the typical paper product corner reinforcements that run down each corner and we see these also on the 4 top sides and IIRC 4 bottom sides. These angle pieces are solid multi layers of paper product with no corrugation, these things are strong. Next the molded Styrofoam top cover comes off as well as the four Styrofoam side panels around the perimeter. At this point the outer cardboard box is easily lifted out of the bottom tray and the plastic cover can now be removed. The shipping container was a work of art. The top box packaging was the same. No dents, no dings, no buckled corners and no scratched paint anywhere. Perfect!

Assembly was also a no brainer. While there was an instruction booklet, and it was well written, you really did not need it. Assembly involved bolting on the huge casters, lower box pull handle, cord storage brackets and braces to keep the top box in place on top of the bottom box.

A wrench was included to bolt the casters on and I will say it was pretty cheap so we resorted to using a 1/2" socket to tighten the caster bolts. Every bolt/screw attachment on the boxes screwed directly into threaded steel and welded nuts. The casters bolted directly into what appeared to be 4 pieces of 1/4 angle iron. Every threaded hole was precisely where it should be and there was no need to pry or force any bolts or screws. What a delight, both my son and I were amazed.

So the features of the box, red wrinkle paint on the boxes and smooth black drawers. Steel peg board on the back top of the top box, soft close full extension ball bearing slides, 100 lb rated. A circuit breaker protected built in power outlet with 4~5 outlets, a hinged work surface on the top of the top box bottom drawer, lite duty only, put your lap top in there and that drawer is individually lockable by it self. The 5"x2" HD casters are rated for 1,800 lbs and have a great set of levers to lock and unlock the break, the levers are side by side and you simply push down on the lock or unlock lever. The top box has a clam shell type lid with gas struts and with no front lip so that you can see every thing with out having to look up and over.

So I was impressed as was my son.

FWIW DeWalt and Porter Cable offer similar style boxes in brand appropriate colors, YELLOW and grey.

If this is any indication of the quality that we will be seeing coming out of Vietnam the Chinese will have to step up their game in a big way.

We looked at Harbor Freight first and saw a similar cheaply built top and bottom box for $150 less. Not at all worth the $150 savings IMHO.

I will probably replace my 30 year old 26" Craftsman with the 46" Milwaukee sooner than later. The Craftsman had dents straight out of the box when I bought it and it did not do well when we moved it from our old house to the new house 5 years ago.

Reply to
Leon

Intimately familiar with the general mindset of the Vietnamese, having lived with them for months, as the only "round eye" dodging bullets alongside them. Respect and fondness for those on our side, and a grudging respect for those on the opposite side.

Given a choice I'd much prefer to do business with the average Vietnamese individual than the Chinese. Damned shame we had to leave so many behind who were dedicated, proven friends.

Those who have made it over here to Texas have made good citizens. Have a lot of respect for Hubert Vo, in the Texas House, who's a personal acquaintance/local businessman, despite him being a Democrat. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

For the most part I agree with you on this.

Yet it all brings back bad memories, and most of those memories were caused by our own government.

I have friends who part of their families went to France, and others here, with some still in their homeland. What a network of people, especially in international business, very enterprising and supportive of family.

Reply to
OFWW

Reading that and thinking of the Craftsman boxes I have used over the years, and still have some, minus the wheels.

Thanks for the excellent report. Makes me want to take a look, but a Festool domino tool would get my vote first. :)

Reply to
OFWW

A friend has the bigger, wider, larger Milwaukee tool boxes. The kind you bought except twice as tall and twice as wide and twice as deep. Craftsman makes some huge tool boxes like it. Not sure where the big Milwaukee tool boxes were made. But would guess not China. They are quality, as you des cribed. I believe many years ago Made in Vietnam was common on stuff. Mad e in Vietnam was the precursor to Made in China. Guessing the relevant siz e of China made Vietnam disappear. I have several Craftsman tool boxes. D rawers are not ball bearing so the big heavy drawers take a lot of effort t o open. Otherwise nothing but good things to say about Craftsman tool boxe s. If I was buying new I'd look at Home Depot and Lowes offerings on tool boxes. As well as Craftsman. Lowes has their Kobalt brand in a pretty blu e color.

Reply to
russellseaton1

The bait dangled, the bait was swallowed, the hook is set. Now, will you run? LOL Good on you!

Just a little more on the tool chests. Craftsman was a good home garage box. And then there is Matco and Snapon and the like. Those are typically 10~15 times the price of a compatibly sized Craftsman.

Why so much more, they get lifted, full of tools, sat in the back of pick up trucks, and relocated many times in their life time and they hold up. Lifting a box with a thousand pounds plus of tools and having it bounce down the road is the hardest thing you can do to a box. Plus they get wet quite often when the floors in the shop get washed.

These Milwaukee boxes appear to be in between the inexpensive Craftsman type boxes and the upper end. If you could buy SnapOn and Matco at HD they would surely sell for half the price but you pay for the convenience of you rep coming around weekly to serve your needs.

Reply to
Leon

Another one worth looking at is Stack-On. I believe that they have several grades. I'm sure the roller cabinet, middle chest, top chest and two wing cabinets that I've picked up over the years are not their top end stuff, but they were price right and, after 30+ years for the main unit, have held up fine. Bearings on the drawer slides, while not high end, have worked just fine.

I don't give a rat's a** where they are made (Stack-On is made within 30 miles of me in Wauconda, IL) you can tell what you're getting with tool boxes if you can look at them in the store.

What's truly amazing is that when I bought the individual pieces and loaded them up, there was all kinds of room. The manufacturer's need to Sanforize (anyone else remember that trademark) the damn things so they don't shrink so much. Gotta keep buying more to house the same number (I swear to SWMBO) of tools and "stuff."

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

But the nice thing about Snap-On and, I think, MATCO is that they have a mortgage loan officer right there on the sales truck. VERY convenient.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I have a Kennedy Box (not ball bearing) , a 520 A HF $135 unit. And a Husky top chest $75.

The Kennedy is the Rolls Royce of boxes, but I don't think it is that much nicer than the HF. The slides on the kennedy do come apart nicely. with the lift of the spring steel.

The HF don't.

Don't get me wrong, the quality of the Kennedy is great. But not enough to warrant the 2x3 times the price for a single unit.

My Husky came dented. No big deal. Who really cares, it does what it needs to.

Reply to
woodchucker

Absolutely! LOL Most mechanics have as much invested in their tools as they do their homes. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Well the Kennedy is a nice box but there are much better. I had a Kennedy tool box many years ago. The Kennedy certainly delivers on value.

I guess you have not seen SnapOn pricing. :~) Kennedy has nothing on SnapOn as far as pricing goes. While not the same size you can compare to an equal sized Husky. The Snap On may be 20 times more expensive.

Yeah the dent does not affect the ability to use the box and my past boxes have had dents.

BUT have we become conditioned to accept damaged goods. If I am going to pay hundreds for a new box it is not going to have dents unless I put them there.

Reply to
Leon

I was just explaining to a family member just HOW FAR a 3/8" and 1/2" ratchet set (and sockets), a set of imperial size and metric crescent wrenches and a set of screw drivers go. You could probably have all of the above for probably less than $150 (Craftsman). What more do those fancier names do for you? I mean, there seems to be much decreasing marginal utility. None of these tools have either broke nor bent, but I did get a 3/8" ratchet that had issues from the start (it was replaced). None have the least signs of rust either.

Reply to
Bill

re: "a set of imperial size and metric crescent wrenches"

Yeah, I gotta get a metric crescent wrench one of these days. The imperial size one just won't adjust to those pesky mm sized nuts. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Mine's imperial on one side and metric on the other. I can only loosen metric nuts or tighten imperial ones. I'm still trying to find it's mate, but it seems they're all the same way!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Little sanity tip: Keep the metric tools in a separate toolbox.

I had a job this summer where I Really Needed two 1/2" crescent wrenches at the same time. That doesn't happen much. Well, I thought I did, it turned out it wasn't necessary to remove those nuts--which were real buggers! I did'nt like hitting my crescent wrench with a hammer (I covered it with a rag first).

Reply to
Bill

I like it!

Actually, that's not as far fetched as it sounds.

Crescent makes a 2 ended wrench: Adjustable on one end with a pass-through socket handle on the other. The idea sounded good until I noticed that the pass-through sockets are combination sockets which they claim fit both imperial and metric. Any time I see anything that tries to act like X-Tools-In-One, I back away slowly.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My Crescent wrenches are even better than metric. They're metric on one side (600mm and 800mm) on one side and imperial (8" and 12") on the other.

Reply to
krw

The fancier names have the distinction of not having to be competitively priced. Add to that you don't have to go to the store to have a broken tool replaced, the rep comes to your work place, although you have to wait a week. ;~) And these are top notch tools that with daily use may never wear out.

And ultimately the guy selling you the top notch tools knows what he is talking about, he has quite an investment too.

But for you and me just about any decent brand will do.

Reply to
Leon

The Snap-On dealer who came by our shop would fight tooth and nail when it came to warranty claims, always tried to blame the worker. Yes they did break and under normal use.

Sears, on the other hand, never questioned, just replaced. Of course that was in their prime, sadly those days are gone.

Reply to
Idlehands

[snip]

That's sad to hear, if true. Have rarely had an occasion to take a Craftsman hand tool back but the few times I did, it was no questions asked. Broke the tip on a large screw driver and worried about explaining what happened (used it as a punch, not a pry bar, and it just didn't like that). Retail guy never asked, just walked me over to the screwdrivers and handed me a replacement.

Socket sets are all Craftsman and are pushing 40 yrs old. No rust, all work just fine. If only the damn sockets wouldn't keep walking off. Found I was missing a couple of my 3/8" drive recently and priced replacements. Damn! Then went to the Sears Appliance Outlet store when I was in the neighborhood and picked up a complete set for $9.99, with the high end laser etched size marks no less.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused