Deck Project - Concrete

Does river water have wetter water than say a lake?

Reply to
Leon

It is a chemical additive for coolant, not concrete.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, I'm starting to get in that boat with ya.

Reply to
-MIKE-

i use the regular sakrete, put in dry. it'll rain eventually. works great. Most posts don't need concrete anyway if they are of proper depth.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I have probably built 30-40 fences. I replaced one a few years ago, we were able to simply pull the posts out of the ground with out digging or working the posts back and forth. The previous installer used the wait till rain technique. 8 years later the concrete was still uncured and powdery just like it came out of the bag.

Apparently the top got a little wet, cured, and shielded the remainder. That fence failed about 12 years too early due to laziness

Reply to
Leon

"Most posts don't need concrete anyway if they are of proper depth."

Actually, I am not setting posts. Rather U-shaped metal supports that posts fasten to and have a projection or two that is/are embedded in the pour.

I have my reasons (for this approach) related to how I plan to attached the beams and joists on this low-level deck and based upon experience using them on another project.

I've also had success following the directions on the bags of SAKRETE I get at LOWES - I buy the torn bags for half price.

Thanks to those offering the feedback, suggestions and links. My project couldn't wait for same, but seems to be setting up (curing, thank you) quite nicely so far (24 Hours) as I covered the concrete with plastic and am keeping the surface damp for at least 48 hours before putting any stress on the fittings embedded therin.

Reply to
Gooey

posts fasten to and have a projection or two that is/are embedded in the pour.

I have my reasons (for this approach) related to how I plan to attached the beams and joists on this low-level deck and based upon experience using them on another project.

I've also had success following the directions on the bags of SAKRETE I get at LOWES - I buy the torn bags for half price.

Thanks to those offering the feedback, suggestions and links. My project couldn't wait for same, but seems to be setting up (curing, thank you) quite nicely so far (24 Hours) as I covered the concrete with plastic and am keeping the surface damp for at least 48 hours before putting any stress on the fittings embedded therin.

----------------------------------- Sounds like you were looking for affirmation, not information, and in the process, wasted the time of those who responded.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

err...how *i s* that working for you, Larry. You have all the personas Josepi is using, tagged?

Why am I shaking my head :-/

Quite appropriate title for the file. Your "naming convention" is very much a self made (homemade) initiative.. like some guys call their vehicles "her" you like to own your data, put yer name on it, like?

Like that will help a lot:-/

Do get used to the noise, Larry. It is you "fingers in ears types" who have allowed and will allow Josepi+* Voice. Be the victim. george

Reply to
George Watson

yer really think is short on dry trolls? george

Reply to
George Watson

He(?) was at the keyboard whilst the missus was out doing the mixing (shovel + a sheet of iron, no doubt), when she hollered "how much water, honey", Goofy panicked and hit the "brains Trust". It was near on nightfall too [18:29:38PDT ] so that extra effort in waffling on about an imaginary mixer added the urgency. Goofy wanted to know he was no cheapskate!!

Lew, some advice is coming, well more of a "shheeet I knew that" kinda thing. So. It is rare there is any value in a Google Groups [Gugglers] post, of anything. Mostly a conglomeration of losers and dribblers. Up until now I have left my Guggler Gun holstered. It's getting air, right now. I suggest those Gugglers who think they may have worth in go get subscribed to a news server. The one you (Lew) are using is a bewdy.. $10 buys you 25GB.

to see anyone here through to leaving the remainder (unused) as an inheritance!

/aims square at Goofy the Guggler

/flicks the hammer

bye Goofy...

/reload

bye Gugglers..

george

Reply to
George Watson

The posts in this thread certainly don't need concrete. The thread is getting pretty deep without it.

Reply to
willshak

wasted the time of those who responded.

Well, if the responses had indicated my extra water would kill the project I would have re-done the work. You are correct in that it would have been better all around if I'd asked before I mixed the concrete, but I didn't see the problem/issue until I started to mix the concrete. Catcha-22

Reply to
Gooey

Don't worry about the troll responses. Just don't feed them by giving audience.

The group is a success is indicated when you get these fools. They will always find something to poke at even if it is with the way you type your period character, at the end of your sentence....too much pressure or too little pressure on your keyboard, etc....

I have poured premixed concrete into a hole, dry, and walked away, if it will rain in the next day or so. It works just fine and you seem to know what you are doing.

Have a good one!

---------

Reply to
Josepi

Josepi wrote the following:

It's what my fence company did when they installed my 15 - 6' h x 8' w wooden fence posts. They only poured dry concrete in the corner posts and the posts that hold the gate hinges. All the rest were just buried without any concrete at all. It's been 25 years since.

Reply to
willshak

Concrete on fence posts tends to accelerate the rotting process of the wood and can give the frost something to get ahold of for lift in the spring.

There are prefab concrete piers with a slope on them (smaller at the top) for support posts to sit from below the frost level that will stop the frost lift from getting hold of them and lifting. I built a cedar fence once and the mistake of that is the frost lifts the fence, due to being so light weight. I had to pound it back down after the frost was out of the ground and left the stain marks about three inches in the air above the ground level, every spring. Need the weight of the cheaper lumber to keep the posts down into the ground. A shallow concrete sleeve can make the problem worse.

-- Send in the clones.

-----------

------------------------------- Josepi wrote the following: Don't worry about the troll responses. Just don't feed them by giving audience.

The group is a success is indicated when you get these fools. They will always find something to poke at even if it is with the way you type your period character, at the end of your sentence....too much pressure or too little pressure on your keyboard, etc....

I have poured premixed concrete into a hole, dry, and walked away, if it will rain in the next day or so. It works just fine and you seem to know what you are doing.

Have a good one!

Reply to
Josepi

And what if it does not rain in a day or so? Kind of a stupid gamble.

Reply to
Leon

That and the fact that what really happens is you get a crispy shell of cured concrete covering the dry powder concrete on the inside.

Reply to
-MIKE-

And what if it does not rain in a day or so? Kind of a stupid gamble. ____________________________________________________________

I can only think that not mixing with water first, or counting on rain to set up a dry hole is only a factor in very dry regions, or in drought areas.

Shoot, I have had bags in the garage set up in one solid block just from moisture in the air. If the ground around the hole has any significant moisture in it, it is plenty to set up a dry post. As to the one account of pulling out dry unhardened mixes after a few years, I can not imagine how that could happen except in the desert.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

That has happened to me too, last time I was in a HD, not sure if it was fiscal restraint or what, but it seemed very warm and humid in the place, not sure what that is doing to bags of concrete.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Hey Gooey, I don't mean to pick on you here, but remember the other day when you replied that my WD-40 post was spam, spam, spam? And you provided links to web sites where the post appeared. Remember that?

this make your post spam, spam, spam? I don't think it does. I think there are web sites that cull posts from newsgroups and post it on their own site. What do you think?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Anderson